× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108 Stops Working

pixeldroid
Aspirant

GS108 Stops Working

Hello,

I have ATT fiber with runs thru an ARRIS BGW210-700 gateway. I was using a very old switch which shutdown, so I upgraded to a GS108. It worked without a hitch for a day or two, but then this AM the switch was not connecting to the web. All of the lights were blinking normally. Note that it was working fine last nite when I went to bed.

I ran the gateway straight into my computer and it connected. Then back to the switch and it connected, but then failed after a few minutes. 2 dead switches is unlikely, so there must be a problem in the setup.

On this NetGear support thread a 'broadcast storm' was mentioned. I don't generally have much traffic running through the switch, especially at night, but I suppose this is a possibility. If that were the case, would it be one of the connected devices causing the problem? Any other ideas as to the cause?

Thanks.

Model: GS108v4|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit unmanaged switch
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: GS108 Stops Working

The GS108 is a pretty simple unmanaged switch. Nothing fancy about it. When it comes to those, they either work/or don't. there isn't much in between. If the lights are blinking, traffic is passing. I'd be looking that router/pc that are connected more closely

Message 2 of 8
pixeldroid
Aspirant

>> I'd be looking that router/pc that are connected more closely

Could you elaborate on "more closely"?

If I move the WAN cable from the switch to my pc (about 3 feet), the internet works. Move the cable back to the switch, it also works... until it doesn't. The lites are blinking when the internet is working and when it isn't. When I toggle the power on the switch, the internet is restored. I have another PC that is connected to a different port on the gateway, it does not lose it's connection when the switch does.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Try it on a different device or setup to see if the switch stays working. 

Again, with an unmanaged switch, they either work or don't. there isn't much in between. 

That router isn't known for being the greatest router out there. 

You can check the power to see if the power is dying to the switch. Or if plugging a new device into the switch causes it to work/light up

Message 4 of 8
pixeldroid
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

You can check the power to see if the power is dying to the switch. Or if plugging a new device into the switch causes it to work/light up

It's not the power - when the internet goes out and I check the switch, everything looks normal (though I need to look more closely at the next outage). When I toggle the power the internet connection is restored. If I plug an additional device into the switch, it connects to the web as expected.

I have another PC that is connected to a different port on the gateway, it does not lose it's connection when the switch does.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

If plugging in a new device works, its not the switch. 

Look at the router. Maybe its lease time is expiring and its not auto-renewing. 

Message 6 of 8
pixeldroid
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

If plugging in a new device works, its not the switch. 

Look at the router. Maybe its lease time is expiring and its not auto-renewing. 

Hmm. When the internet stops working on my computer, all the other devices on the switch also lose their connection. It is my guess that if I plugged in a new device before toggling the power on the switch, it would not get connected. I've not encountered expired leases in the past, and if that is the problem, then the leases of all the devices connected to the switch would be expiring at exactly the same time everytime this happens. Additionally the lease on the computer connected to a different router port is not expiring.

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

You can always try a different switch. Or try to RMA it

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements