× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS116v2 - No switch exists in the local area network - Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - W7 & W10

nctos
Aspirant

GS116v2 - No switch exists in the local area network - Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - W7 & W10

Hi,

I have a GS116v2 which cannot be detected by the Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility.

Everytime I try to find the switch I get the same error: "No switch exists in the local area network"

My router is patched into port 1 of the GS116v2 and I have connected a client laptop to port 8. It seems to be connected OK, I have an IP address from the router and connectivity to the internet.

The switch simply cannot be detected by the software.

This is a device that a customer bought so that he could extend the number of devices on his small LAN in his office. The idea was to connect the switch to his existing ADSL router/modem and then he would have 14 extra ports.

However, in the office the clients will not connect to the internet. They are not receiving IPs from DHCP, only APIPAs.

I've brought this home to test on my home network to see if it works any better here and, of course, it works fine. 2 PCs and a PS3 all connected to the net with no problems.

The software has been installed on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 yet both do not find the switch.

Am I right in thinking that this switch doesn't need any config? It's just a case of plugging it in and letting it extend the number of clients on the LAN?

Should this software work?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Model: GS116v2|16-port Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS116v2 - No switch exists in the local area network - Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - W...

Hello nctos, 

Welcome to the community! 

The GS116v2 is only a pass-through switch, it does not have any software management as well as firmware. The Prosafe Plus Utility is only for Prosafe Plus model switch which is why it does not detect the GS116v2. This model is basically a plug-and-play device. 

Let us know if that answers your question. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS116v2 - No switch exists in the local area network - Prosafe Plus Configuration Utility - W...

Hello nctos, 

Welcome to the community! 

The GS116v2 is only a pass-through switch, it does not have any software management as well as firmware. The Prosafe Plus Utility is only for Prosafe Plus model switch which is why it does not detect the GS116v2. This model is basically a plug-and-play device. 

Let us know if that answers your question. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
nctos
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks, that does answer my question.

I think there may be another issue at my friend's offices, perhaps with the power. I will revisit and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks again.

Message 3 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi nctos,

On behalf of JohnRo,  since your question has already been answered, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 5
nctos
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thanks for the guidance, I will mark as Accepted now.

I did return to my friend's offices and installed the switch in another position (with different power supply) and found it all started to work.

He now has his extended network up and running on the new switch.

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements