× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS305 Switch capping at 100mbps

lucas_m
Star

GS305 Switch capping at 100mbps

I recently bought a little, un-managed switch for a simple use case.

There is a first cable (CAT6, like all the others cable I will speak about) going from my Internet Router into the 5th port of the switch.

Then, there are 2 others cable, in port 1 & 2, going from the switch to 2 different mural RJ-45 plugs, on two different rooms of my house.

Once installed, I used the first mural-plug with my computer, connecting it with another CAT6 cable, and I benchmarked a speed of ~950mbps/s.

But then I connected the second RJ-45 plug to a PS4, and the bandwidth was really slow ~70mbps. Once noticed I ran another test on my computer, previously getting 950mbps, and the speed dropped to 95mbps !

I can understand that having 2 devices connected to the switch will slow the bandwidth, but we are speaking about a tenth of the original speed !

Even worse, unplugging the PS4, rebooting the switch etc... won't make the original +900mbps speed coming back.

The LEDs are all green.

Model: GS305v3|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: GS305 Switch capping at 100mbps

Climp them off and recrimp on new ones. all it takes is one pin to be bad/sketchy to cause issues.

Its not usually the cable that's bad. 

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 17

All Replies
plemans
Guru

i would be checking the cable supplying the switch. Many times a sketchy cable will drop speeds from gigabit to 10/100mbps. 

So start with replacing the ethernet cables. 

Message 2 of 17
lucas_m
Star

Thanks for you answer.

The cable are ran through wall, so it's not that easy to replace. The switch is almost sealed in an eletric box, not easy to access too. I sincerely doubt the problem being the cable, if it was, the main cable, from the router, would be the bottleneck, but it has been working for like 10 days, and as I said, it is "sealed" into the wall. 

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

@lucas_m wrote:

Thanks for you answer.

The cable are ran through wall, so it's not that easy to replace.----many times its not about replacement. Most of the time I've found a bad connector/pin on them. It only takes 1 pin to be bad/not connected properly to cause one of the pairs not to link and drop it to a 10/100mbps connection and not gigabit.   The switch is almost sealed in an eletric box, not easy to access too---might not be easy access but to test the cable or switch being the problem, you might need to remove it and move it next to the router. Use known good 6 ft cables to test it. . I sincerely doubt the problem being the cable, if it was, the main cable, from the router, would be the bottleneck, but it has been working for like 10 days, and as I said, it is "sealed" into the wall. ---so how do you propose testing it? You can either pull it out of the wall and put it next to the router and test with known good cables. Or you can buy a new one (which would mean taking the old one out anyway) and testing a new one. support isn't going to replace it without you doing *some* testing. 

Message 4 of 17
lucas_m
Star

Knowing I needed to test the cable, I moved my computer next to the switch and performed a series of test.

To be even more clear, there is a first CAT-6 cable, running from the router into a RJ45 mural-plug. Then this plug is connected to a second cat6 cable, which is then plugged into the switch, as the network "input".

I tested the bandwidth of this "second" cable (the one acting as my switch input) -> bandwidth was 950mbps.

We can eliminate the input being the problem.

I then replugged the input into my switch, and performed another test : I plugged a CONFIRMED WORKING cat6 cable from one output of the switch into my computer, and the bandwidth dropped to 100mbps

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we can easily conclude from these 2 tests that the switch is, in fact, the problem 

Message 5 of 17
lucas_m
Star

I made a little diagram representing both test

Note that the red cable in test 1 & 2 are indeed to same one

The second cable (black one) of the second test is tested and 100% working at 1gpbs

diag.jpg

also 2 pictures of the tests

First one just show the input cable being plugged directly into the computer

test1.jpg

On the second we see the input cable plugged into the switch (red one) and the second one from the switch into the computer (purples)t.jpg

Message 6 of 17
plemans
Guru

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we can easily conclude from these 2 tests that the switch is, in fact, the problem 

Sadly you can't. I've seen devices that are more sensitive to cable quality than others. Some tolerate lower power/bandwidth connections better than others. Which is why sometimes a cable tester will show a line as fine and it not work at gigabit speeds for other devices. 

Message 7 of 17
lucas_m
Star

Thing is that every cable used are capable of transmitting 950mbps, they have been tested one by one on a direct link with the router

Message 8 of 17
plemans
Guru

@lucas_m wrote:

Thing is that every cable used are capable of transmitting 950mbps, they have been tested one by one on a direct link with the router

Sure. router to computer. and maybe the switch is more sensitive. If you don't want to try it, fine. I'm not going to argue it with you. then either return your switch or open a support case. there isn't much else to test with a simple unmanaged switch.

But they're going to ask you to try the same steps to ensure it isn't a cable issue. 

To get a hold of support. Click on "MyNetgear" at the top.
Register an account (or login) and then the device.
From there you can start the support process. Keep in mind that its only free for the first 90 days.

Message 9 of 17
lucas_m
Star

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't want to try it, I just don't know how I could ?

I will open a ticket to the support to see what they can do, I'm not even sure if replacing the switch with another is going to fix any issues, I'll see what they going to recommend me

Message 10 of 17
lucas_m
Star

If I understood correctly, the problem should be that my CAT-6 cable, from the router into the switch, is working as expected with my computer, but the switch think it is not correct ?

I could try to move the switch next to the router and perform another test with other cables, see if this is the problem

Message 11 of 17
plemans
Guru

@lucas_m wrote:

If I understood correctly, the problem should be that my CAT-6 cable, from the router into the switch, is working as expected with my computer, but the switch think it is not correct ?

I could try to move the switch next to the router and perform another test with other cables, see if this is the problem

that's what I asked earlier. to move the switch next to the router. And try a couple different 6ft cables to try.

Some computers can compensate a little more for sketchy cables than unmanaged switches can. 

Message 12 of 17
lucas_m
Star

Did the best, worked well, so my cable is the problem.

Do you have any solutions for this ? I could try to recrimp the cable maybe

I'm still surprised the switch recognize my cable as sketchy, how can it even recognize that ?

Message 13 of 17
plemans
Guru

Its usually just a power/frequency issue that its not quite up to spec on because of the crimping. 

I'd just redo the ends and try it. most times thats the issue. 

You can mark it as solved and it might help the next person with that issue 🙂

Message 14 of 17
lucas_m
Star

What do you mean by "redo-ing the ends" ?

Message 15 of 17
plemans
Guru

Climp them off and recrimp on new ones. all it takes is one pin to be bad/sketchy to cause issues.

Its not usually the cable that's bad. 

Message 16 of 17
lucas_m
Star

I see, thanks for your help, it was really helpful Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 2 in conversation