× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

PC Internet not connected after Netgear Switch installed (GS105)

Kampfzentrum
Initiate

PC Internet not connected after Netgear Switch installed (GS105)

Recently installed a new modem and router. Between the modem and router I installed a Netgear Switch as I have a PC that I like to keep hardwired (the PC is hardwired out of the switch). Once I powered everything up and connected, everything worked BUT the PC. When I connect the PC directly to the modem, the PC instantly connects to the Internet. I have searched the Internet to find a solution and the common solution is "turn off PC, router, and modem and boot up", but this doesn't work. After some investigation, I found a problem with my ethernet connection (through Windows Network Diagnostics) that "ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration".

This is as far as I can get before I run out of solutions. Can anyone help me?

Model: GS105|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: PC Internet not connected after Netgear Switch installed (GS105)

@Kampfzentrum wrote:

Between the modem and router I installed a Netgear Switch

That's the almost classic mistake. The switch and the PC must be located on the router LAN port side.

The ISP typically allow only one public IP address, which is to be used for the router WAN/Internet port. With the current set-up, either the computer or the router are workable, kind of random, depending what was booted or connected first. 

Grüsse

-Kurt

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Kampfzentrum wrote:

Between the modem and router I installed a Netgear Switch

That's the almost classic mistake. The switch and the PC must be located on the router LAN port side.

The ISP typically allow only one public IP address, which is to be used for the router WAN/Internet port. With the current set-up, either the computer or the router are workable, kind of random, depending what was booted or connected first. 

Grüsse

-Kurt

Message 2 of 3
Kampfzentrum
Initiate

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your time and help! The little things matter!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements