× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro Safe FS116P causing the router to act wonky

vokster
Aspirant

Pro Safe FS116P causing the router to act wonky

I have a set of 11 IP cameras set up in a remote location in the Caribbean.  I have an Huwai LTE modem connected to a Nighthawk X6 router.  I have a prosafe FS116P 16 port unmanaged switch connected to the router.  It has 8 POE ports which run my cameras.  (I also have a 4 port POE switch on the network for the other 3).  So the saga starts when about 3 of the cameras stopped working yesterday.  We noticed no LEDs lit up on 3 ports of the switch. I had a brand new FS116P switch that I swapped it out for (gotta have redundancy in the Caribbean).  Everything worked fine except a couple of cameras needed to be reset.  This involves unpluging and pluging the ethernet cable at the camera while pressing the reset button.  The guy I had doing the job broke the parking lot camera at the cable female connection some how. We had a working spare camera and plugged it into that parking lot cable but it didn't work (so probably more than the female end damaged).  I suggested we plug the spare camera into a different port on the switch with a small cable.  We have no idea which port the parking lot camera was plugged into but we randomly chose port 8 to plug the spare into.  This port was occupied at the time so we unplugged the existing cable and put it aside.   The camera worked, so we unplugged it.  We put the original cable that was in 8 back in, and then the wonkiness started.  Router basically stopped working.  All the cameras went dark.  Internet was there but very sparce and slow. I had other peripherals on the network that I couldn't connect to.   Once I took the switch out of the network, the router works fine.  I have tried rebooting everything, but as long as the POE switch is powered on and connected, the router barely works.  We put the original not working well switch back in and thats where we left things.  It all works except for the original 3 cameras.  Anyway, could a short in the parking lot camera cause this?  Did I fry something in the new switch?  Could the salty sea air cause it to not work?  Any help would be appreciated.  What else can I do to diagnose this issue?  Thanks

Model: FS116P|16 Port 10/100 Fast Ethernet Unmanaged Switch with 8-Port PoE
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Pro Safe FS116P causing the router to act wonky

@vokster,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you were having issues with the FS116P. This switch is just unmanaged, so probably, there are loops in your network that causes for the router to stop working. Please double-check the cables if there are loops within your network.

We can only do a hardware check and isolation in order for this to resolve as we do not have anything to do with the switch.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@vokster,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you were having issues with the FS116P. This switch is just unmanaged, so probably, there are loops in your network that causes for the router to stop working. Please double-check the cables if there are loops within your network.

We can only do a hardware check and isolation in order for this to resolve as we do not have anything to do with the switch.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
vokster
Aspirant

I'm not personally on site, but when I phoned them, I asked them to follow each cable route, we found a network loop.  Wasn't there when I set it up, was now.  Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements