× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Replacement Switch Not Giving IP Address

JediJurist17
Aspirant

Replacement Switch Not Giving IP Address

I apologize in advance for this newbie question, I am barely network literate. I have an older unmanaged netgear 100/10 switch that has a direct connection to an Xfinity router/modem. It worked just fine with my older modem, but was speed limited. I upgraded my modem to a gigabit Xfinity device and service and just want to replace the 100mbs switch with a new unmanaged netgear 1000mbs switch. The older switch worked flawlessly when moving from the old modem to the new, but I’m now on my second 1000mbs switch and I can’t get it to work. All I’m trying to do is a direct replacement, slot for slot (both are 16 ports, have about 11 devices). First slot is for the signal from the modem, rest are the computers, game consoles, AV equipment, etc that need internet and ip addresses, but none of them can access the internet after having switched over.

I’ve unplugged the modem for 2-3 minutes, unplugged the switch for 30 seconds, restarted the computer hard wires to the switch, nothing gets me an IP address. Not plug and play for sure. I can go back to the old switch and it all works great, but you know, at its lower speed. What am I missing? TIA
Model: GS116v2|16-port Gigabit Switch 10/100/1000 Mbps
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Replacement Switch Not Giving IP Address

Correct power supply on the new switch?

What show the LEDs - start with the power and the uplink (to the router/modem) - see https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS116V2/GS116v2_IG_EN.pdf ?

Message 2 of 3
JediJurist17
Aspirant

Re: Replacement Switch Not Giving IP Address

Power cable is the one that came with the new switch, plugged into the same power strip as the original switch, which continues to work just fine. Green power light comes on. Cable from router (plugged into port 1) produces NO light on the new switch. Immediately shows flickering light when plugged into the first port on the old switch. Other devices plugged into the new switch are flickering double green but getting no internet.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements