× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524 w/ Wireless Access Points

johnrdonovan1
Aspirant

Setting up NETGEAR ProSAFE JGS524 w/ Wireless Access Points

Wanted to get some advise from the community regarding my Netgear JGS524 Unmanaged Switch.  I am about to set up a home network with the following devises:

• Netgear CM600 Router

• Netgear ProSAFE JGS524 24 Port Switch

• QNAP TS453 Pro NAS

• Computers (3)

• Amazon Fire (3)

• ASUS Wireless Routers - Access Points (3)

• HP Wireless Printer

My intention is to connect my router directly to the ProSAFE switch and than connect all of the other devises including my wireless routers to the switch.  Is this the right way to go or should I consider a different approach.  I would to have access to the NAS and Wireless Printer regardless of what wireless access point my computer logged on to.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Network Diagram.PNG

Model: JGS524v2|ProSAFE 24 Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johnrdonovan1, 

Kinda missed that, sorry! Yes, it is only a modem so you'll basically need a modem-router combo (gateway - to replace the CM600) or a router. So the setup will be CM600>Router>Switch. The CM600 will not be able to accommodate the IP addressing. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello johnrdonovan1, 

Welcome to the community! 

This should work fine considering the location of the devices and since the switch is only unmanaged. It would be better though if you will connect some of the devices (probably the ones near the router) to the CM600 router. All in all this setup is great. 🙂 

Let us know if you have more questions. 

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 5
johnrdonovan1
Aspirant

Thanks JohnRo - I was looking at this again and was wondering if I needed to change on of the ASUS Routers from an access point and place it in between the CM600 and the switch.  I was reading  more on the CM600 and it looks like it is just a modem.  Any thoughts? 

Message 3 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi johnrdonovan1, 

Kinda missed that, sorry! Yes, it is only a modem so you'll basically need a modem-router combo (gateway - to replace the CM600) or a router. So the setup will be CM600>Router>Switch. The CM600 will not be able to accommodate the IP addressing. 

Thanks, 

Message 4 of 5
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello johnrdonovan1, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements