× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slower speed after connecting to GS105

aeunexcore
Follower

Slower speed after connecting to GS105

I've been trying to figure this out myself for hours but couldn't find a very good solution.  Maybe I'm just missing something on my motherboard side of things but... I bought a Netgear GS105 to connect my pc and my wife's pc to the Internet in my house.  However, I started noticing that I'm not hitting my usual internet speeds after running a few speed tests while my pc is connected to the switch.  My setup is:

wall outlet -> CAX80 modem/router combo -> GS105 -> my pc & my wife's pc

The diagram looks very simple but I feel like I'm not hitting my usual speeds. I have a gigabit internet and usually my speeds are over 1Gbps on speedtest.net or the xfinity app when I'm the only one that's connected and active.  This time, after connecting my computer to the switch, I've been capped at 950-970 Mbps and I'm worried that if I upgrade, those numbers will not change.  Am I missing something?  I also noticed that the LEDs behind my motherboard when I plug my computer to the switch became green(left) and amber/orange(right) compared to when I connect to the modem directly which gives me both green LEDs.  However, the switch LEDs are both green.

I've tried connecting the modem to the port 1 and 5 on the switch and it didn't make a difference.  I am still capped at below 1Gbps.  The switch is plugged into the 1G/2.5G LAN port on CAX80

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Slower speed after connecting to GS105

The GS105 is a Gigabit Ethernet switch with five gigabit (1000 Mbps) ports, so it's normal you will see a  950-970 Mbps average max throughput.

@aeunexcore wrote:

This time, after connecting my computer to the switch, I've been capped at 950-970 Mbps and I'm worried that if I upgrade, those numbers will not change.

This isn't a worry - just a fact that a Gigabit switch ports can't make more.

The CAX80 does come with one 2.5G multi-Gig Ethernet LAN port plus four (4) Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports. These ports together, could serve an aggregated max total throughput of 2.5G+1G+1G+1G+1G. 

If you plan (for whatever reason) to change the Cable Internet subscription to something in the 1.1 ... 2.4 Gbps range, and your core switch at home should provide higher throughput to multiple ports to each device connected and you don't want risk some family crunch, there is no other solution to consider adding some 2.5Gbps MultiGig capable switch like a XS505M for example. Should the expectations of a maximum throughput be even higher, say if the plan is to deploy fast NAS, there are no limits. MultiGig switches supporting 2.5G and 5G, or 10G are available in the market.

Wish you a wonderful weekend!

Regards

-Kurt

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements