× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Thinking about replacing my gs 608 and gs605 with gs prosafe 108 and gs prosafe 105.

JackDaniels1171
Aspirant

Thinking about replacing my gs 608 and gs605 with gs prosafe 108 and gs prosafe 105.

I currently have my home network set up in the following manner.

Frontier Fiber ONT->cat5e->Netgear AX11000 (Rax200) Wan port.  I have my four Lan ports connected and the 2.5 multi gig port as port 5 connected as Lan Port to a Motorola Moca adapter that I used for my Fios TV service

Three of the Lan ports are connected directly to three different locations in my house via internal cat 5e wiring and I currently have the fourth port connected to a GS608 switch that connects the four other locations in my house.

I recently dropped the Frontier TV service and subscribed to DirectTv Stream service therefore increasing my need for ethernet connections in all locations of my house.  In every location (including the ones connected via the gs 608 switch I have added a gs 605 switch in order to accommodate the need to connect my DirectTv Stream boxes.

Location one Router->internal cat 5e>gs605->my network printer, desktop computer, Direct Tv Stream Box, and Xbox Series X.

Location two Router->internal cat5e->gs605->Roku Ultra, Laptop computer, Direct Tv Stream Box, Blue Ray Player

Location three Router->internal cat5e->gs605-> AX 6000 (Eax80) Wi-Fi Mesh Extender in access point mode, Direct Tv Stream box, Smart TV, Xbox One X

Location four Router->cat 6 cable->gs608->internal cat5e->gs605->desktop PC, smart tv, PlayStation 5, Direct Tv Stream box.

Locations five six and seven are identically configured.  Router->cat 6 cable->gs608->internal cat5e->gs605->smart tv, Direct Tv Stream box.

Everything right now is working perfectly, and I did an experiment powering all DirectTv Stream boxes and all of them had excellent connectivity.

I tried replacing the gs608 switch with the gs108 but ran into connectivity issues on all my devices that were still connected via gs605, so I put the gs608 back and the problem went away.  Should I leave well enough alone or replace the gs608 with the gs108 and the gs605's with gs105's and see if by replacing the 605, 608 family of switches with the gs108 and gs105 family would work as the gs105 and gs108 have a better warranty.  

Message 1 of 4
JeraldM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Thinking about replacing my gs 608 and gs605 with gs prosafe 108 and gs prosafe 105.

@JackDaniels1171,

Welcome to the community!

Just to confirm, all devices (like all locations) stop working when you replace the GS600 series switches with GS100 series switches? 

What you could try, if possible, is try checking if you could still ping the router with any of your laptops/PCs on your network when you swap the switches.

Please let us know what the ping test says.

Regards,

JeraldM

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
JackDaniels1171
Aspirant

Re: Thinking about replacing my gs 608 and gs605 with gs prosafe 108 and gs prosafe 105.

I only changed the gs608 with the gs108 (swapping them) and left the gs605 as they were. That’s where I ran into connectivity problems with all of my Direct TV stream boxes constantly dropping their internet connections. By placing back the gs608 (swapping with the gs108 I had put in its place) I can power on all seven Direct Tv streaming devices without any issues.
Message 3 of 4
JackDaniels1171
Aspirant

I was able to solve the issue that I had earlier.  I had powered down the Nighthawk AX11000 RAX200 router when I first installed the GS108 to replace the GS608 and turned on the GS108 before powering up the Nighthawk Router.  When I put the GS608 back I did not power up the GS608 first I powered the Nighthawk Router first then the GS608 switch.  I read a post regarding a Westell Router and the same switch GS108.  User tweenercat mentioned that the router had to be fully powered and to then power on the switch.  I finally replaced the GS608 with the GS108 and all GS605 with GS105.  I never powered down the Nighthawk Router and all is working perfectly.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements