× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Use of GS105E unmanaged switch

redrocktom
Aspirant

Use of GS105E unmanaged switch

i have a cable co. as ISP, and cable modem. Question is can I use the above switch directly attached to the cable modem and wired to 2 computers and a smart TV, or do I need a router as an intermediary between the switch and modem?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Use of GS105E unmanaged switch

Hi again redrocktom, 

You can use the switch if this is the case, but there is still a bit of a problem. Once a device acquired the IP address coming from the modem, it will not let you get the other devices to the internet since they do not have an available IP anymore. To resolve that, you will have to unplug the first device who acquired the IP and reboot the switch. So, it is kind of a hassle. 

Thanks, 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello redrocktom, 

Welcome to the community! 

You'll need a router for your network. A basic modem can only give a single IP address. Since you have used that single IP there will be no available IP addresses for other devices, that is the reason why they cannot connect at the same time to the internet.The difference between a router and a (passthrough) switch is the DHCP server function and NAT, what it does is translate the public IP address coming from the modem and convert it to a pool of private IP addresses. The GS105E is only a passthrough switch (with added features) and it does not have capabilities to give our IP addresses to your devices.   

I hope the information I provided helps you, let us know. 

Thanks,

Message 2 of 8
redrocktom
Aspirant

Thanks very much John. Since i only want to hardwire 3 devices, all within 6 feet of the modem and each other, don't need WiFi, but would like gigabit speeds, is ther a router you mihgt recommend?

Message 3 of 8
redrocktom
Aspirant

Also, I will only be using one device for internet access at a time. Does this still rule out the switch?

Message 4 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi redrocktom, 

The FVS318Gv2 will do, it has 8 Gigabit ports and can handle up to 250Mpbs LAN-to-WAN throughput. It also has a very good firewall function as well as VPN (if you might want to use that in the future). For more information about this router, please click here

Have a great day! 

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi again redrocktom, 

You can use the switch if this is the case, but there is still a bit of a problem. Once a device acquired the IP address coming from the modem, it will not let you get the other devices to the internet since they do not have an available IP anymore. To resolve that, you will have to unplug the first device who acquired the IP and reboot the switch. So, it is kind of a hassle. 

Thanks, 

Message 6 of 8
redrocktom
Aspirant

John. you have been extremely helpful in helping this obvious neophyte along. Thank you so much and have a great Christmas and New Year. Tom

Message 7 of 8
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Always at your service Tom! 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year as well. 

Thanks, 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements