× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

slower internet gs305

bumper2bumper
Aspirant

slower internet gs305

Hello,

I'm experiencing speeds that fluctuate between full and less than 1/3 of my ISP. I sadly only have a 3 Down by 1 Up speed where I'm located and a drop to 1 by 0.5 is basically stop me in my tracks. I know some about networking but I'm largely a novice. I'm curious if I'm missing something basic here.

This is my current setup:

ISP Reciever > ISP POE > GS305 Unmanaged Switch > RJ45 Wall Plate > GS305 Unmanged Switch > Desktop

I have other items that branch off at various points which is why I have 2 GS305 Switches. They are 20+ feet from each other so I can't replace them with 1 switch.

My problem arrises on the 2nd GS305. I often see speeds that should be nearly 3 by 1 and instead I get 1 by 0.5.

My trouble shooting:

I plug my desktop directly into the POE. Result = 3 by 1

I plug into the first GS305 switch = 3 by 1

I plug into the RJ45 Wall Plate = 3 by 1

I plug into the 2nd GS305 switch = 1-2 by 0.5-0.75

I change which wire is plugged from the RJ45 Wall Plate into the 2nd switch and hook that directly into my desktop from the wall plate (skip the switch) = 3 by 1

I take that cable and plug that into the 2nd GS305 and hook my desktop into the switch = 1-2 by 0.5-0.75

This troubleshooting led me to believe my 2nd switch was bad and none of my wiring. I replaced the switch with the same model, brand new. I still experience the same issue. So did I get 2 bad GS305 switches or is there something else going on? I only experience speed issues after the 2nd switch, not before.

Thanks in advance,

Bumper2bumper

Edit: add clarity

Model: GS305v3|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Message 1 of 5
No1Mportnt
Luminary

Re: slower internet gs305

It is rare to consistantly see full DL/UL speeds on your network.  A lot of things impact that speed including the number of devices you have attached to the network.  Your best bet if possible is to update your internet.  Unfortunately, in today's world the speed of your circuit is minimal at best.  I know when I download large files my DL speed can vary significantly while the download is happening.  

From your troubleshooting it appears that plugging in the second switch is when you see the issue appears.  Is there anyway you can get connectivity to your network without that switch or could you possibly try a different switch in that position?

Message 2 of 5
bumper2bumper
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, @No1Mportnt .

Unfortunately I live in spot with limited internet options and any decent one cost to much. I do agree its minimal but I have what I have. 😕 I was hoping the drop in speed would be minimul, which considering my network, 1 mbps is not minimul for me but it would be for others.

After the 2nd switch I have 1 desktop, 1 network printer, & occationally 1 laptop (it has wifi connection issues). I suppose I could plug my desktop straight into the wall jack, then usb the printer into my desktop and just share it on the network, although I'll have to my desktop on in order for others to print or have them them plug into the USB.

I was hoping I was doing something wrong with the way I had things networked. It sounds like I'll just have to learn to live with this or figure out how to eliminate the 2nd switch.

Thanks for the help. If anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

Bumper2bumper

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Does not make any sense to me.

Two GbE links can be linked up, like router<->switch<->switch<->computer and there must be about one Gigabit speed from router to the computer.

Message 4 of 5
RonAZ
Tutor

My internet speed has dropped from 340 to 27 since installing the Netgear GS305.

My Set Up:  I have run a Cat7 Shielded cable that is directly connected into my router, to my home theater room located about 70 feet away.  The Cat7 cable is directly connected to my Nvidia Shield and using OOKLA (speedtest), my speed is 340. 

I bought a Netgear GS305 switch so I could also connect a streaming box for whole house music system (Radio Tunes) which is located next to the Nvidia Shield in my home theater.  I installed the Netgear GS305.  I connected the Cat7 cable to the middle plug on the GS305 and then connected using Cat7 cables to both my Nvidia Shield and a streaming box for Radio Tunes.  I checked my speeds with OOKLA (speedtest) and only got 27.

I read many reviews and it was stated there was no loss of speed when using the GS305. 

I would appreciate any feedback you might have and did I buy the right 'switch'?

Model: GS305|Unmanaged Switch
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements