× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ATA Errors on new disks

lospecht
Guide

ATA Errors on new disks

Hi,

Summary,

I've replaced several drives and they all seem to be bad (5 out of 6 new WDC WD4002FFWX-68TZ4N0).  Are they really bad or is something wrong with my NAS box?  How do I delete the disk_info.log?  Clear Logs doesn't do it.  btw, I've attached my disk_info.log below.

I have a ReadyNAS 314 4-bay which worked fine for the first several months.  I then started getting ATA Error counts on 3 of the 4 Toshiba drives.  Not sure what sequence they started appearing as I was not closely monitoring the logs and did not have email alerts set up (I do now).  I decided to replace all 4 Toshiba drives with WD 4TB drives off the recommended drives list.  I powered down the NAS, removed the Toshiba's and installed the WD's and powered back on.  I had to go through the setup and then synchronization. Within minutes I was getting ATA errors on 3 of the 4 drives.  I downloaded the logs and looked in the disk_info.log and two drives were at over 100 ATA errors, 1 was at 17 and one was at 0.  I returned the two worst drives thinking the one with 17 may not really be bad and would wait and see how it performed.  The two new replacement WD's arrived, I hot swapped them one at a time letting the first hot swap fully synchronize (about 10 hours) before hot swapping the other one.  I let it fully sync (another 10 hours).  Those two are the ones in bay 1 and 3.  I am continuing to get ATA errors on the third drive so I have decided to replace it as it is now up to 1263 ATA Errors.  On top of that, according to the log, the 2nd, replacement WD is already at 13630 ATA Errors and the other one is at 53!  I am beginning to suspect the NAS device is bad and not the drives.  Also, I want to make sure the ATA Errors are reset to zero to make sure I am looking at logs for the currently installed drive.  Isn't that handled automatically when a disk is swapped?  Any thoughts or suggestions?   If I can't resolve this I am going to have to return all the new WD drives and trash the NAS box and eat the cost and never by NetGear products again.  I am new to this so please be nice.

btw, I have the latest firmware update. 6.6.0. 

Device:             sdb
Controller:         0
Channel:            0
Model:              WDC WD4002FFWX-68TZ4N0
Serial:             NHGHHS3Y
Firmware:           83.H0A83
Class:              SATA
RPM:                7200
Sectors:            7814037168
Pool:               data
PoolType:           RAID 5
PoolState:          1
PoolHostId:         2fe645e0
Health data
  ATA Error Count:                13630
  Reallocated Sectors:            0
  Reallocation Events:            0
  Spin Retry Count:               0
  Current Pending Sector Count:   0
  Uncorrectable Sector Count:     0
  Temperature:                    36
  Start/Stop Count:               1
  Power-On Hours:                 16
  Power Cycle Count:              1
  Load Cycle Count:               1

Device:             sdc
Channel:            1
Serial:             K3G0KTMB
Health data
  ATA Error Count:                1263
  Temperature:                    40
  Start/Stop Count:               3
  Power-On Hours:                 75
  Power Cycle Count:              3
  Load Cycle Count:               5

Device:             sda
Channel:            2
Serial:             K3G0BZ2B
Health data
  ATA Error Count:                53
  Temperature:                    40
  Start/Stop Count:               1
  Power-On Hours:                 62
  Power Cycle Count:              1
  Load Cycle Count:               3

Device:             sde
Channel:            3
Serial:             NHGHHV3Y
Health data
  ATA Error Count:                0
  Temperature:                    35
  Start/Stop Count:               3
  Power-On Hours:                 75
  Power Cycle Count:              3
  Load Cycle Count:               5

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
lospecht
Guide

Re: ATA Errors on new disks

Thanks, Jenn and Stephen!  I didn't realize the chasis could cause ATA errors.  I will contact NetGear and see about getting that replaced. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

ATA errors could be the chassis.  Since you have seen this with both the toshiba and the WDC disks you might want to contact Netgear support (assuming you are covered by warranty) and get an RMA.

Message 2 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello lospecht,

I checked your profile and found that you are entitled to lifetime CHAT support for your RN314. I strongly suggest you contact the support to have the chassis checked or replaced.

Regards,

Message 3 of 9
lospecht
Guide

Thanks, Jenn and Stephen!  I didn't realize the chasis could cause ATA errors.  I will contact NetGear and see about getting that replaced. 

Message 4 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello lospecht,

You are most welcome!

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
lospecht
Guide

Good news!  My replacement NAS 314 chassis arrived, I installed my original Toshiba 2TB drives in all 4 bays, booted up and let synchronization finish.  No ATA errors on all 4 drives.  So the chassis was definitely the problem. 

However, I was hoping to recover my data on the Toshibas.  When I click on Shares, it says No Volumes exists.  When I click on System | Volumes, it says Remove InActive Volumes. 

Is there anyway to recover my data on these disks or am I screwed?

Message 6 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@lospecht wrote:

Is there anyway to recover my data on these disks or am I screwed?

You could be screwed.  You could try support, but my guess is that they would charge.

Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs attached to your case from last week show you did a factory reset just a couple of weeks ago. A factory reset wipes all data, settings, everything. If you wanted a data recovery attempt that needed to be done before doing a factory reset with your disks in place.

Message 8 of 9
lospecht
Guide

Thanks for that info. That factory reset done two weeks ago was at the advice of the support rep when I called and paid $70 for help with this same "Volumn Not Found" issue.  Once he got wind of the ATA Errors, he mis-diagnosed the problem to hard drives and talked me through setting up debug mode and after two days called me back and said I would not be able to get my data back and shipped me three new Toshiba hard drives.  The drives, of course did not fix the problem and led me down the path of buying new WD drives and eventually led to the orginal post in this thread.  I was hopeful that because he mis-diagnosed the problem that the drives were still good and my data would still be accessible. 

I've gotten more useful information from this Community thread than I did from paid tech support.  I believe the loss of my data is due to his mis-diagnosing my problem.  Perhaps if I had more experience with NAS and RAID I would have had a chance of recovering my data.  I'm chalking this one up to the school of hard knocks.  I will no longer rely on a RAID system as sole backup for data.  I will no longer pay NetGear for tech support and I will rely on this Community for advice trouble shooting my problems.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements