× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ATTO iSCSI + CHAP - Won't Authenticate.

darwin1
Aspirant

ATTO iSCSI + CHAP - Won't Authenticate.

Hi,
I recently purchased (yes...) and installed ATTO's Xtend SAN iSCSI Mac Initiator. iSCSI has been working for a while with GlobalSAN 3.3 and now with the ATTO initiator. Everything works great until I try to use CHAP authentication. Obviously I'm not doing something right, I haven't been able to find a solution for this posted anywhere:

Settings on the RNP:
User Name: I have tried everything from "iscsi" to a 12 character alpha only username.
Password: I have tried multiple 12-16 character passwords, including: all letters (lower), upper and lower letters and numbers, strong password with and without "special" characters.
LUN Access control on and off. (Access control does work as long as CHAP is disabled, I've tested with an incorrect value also and it does not work)

Settings in XtendSAN:
Target User Name: iqn.1995-12.com.attotech........etc - pre-populated by the software.
Target Secret: This is where I'm pointing the finger. There's no field to enter a Target Secret on the RNP. No combination I've tried has worked.
Mutual Authentication: (checkbox)
Initiator User Name: Same as entered on the RNP
Initiator Secret: Same password as entered on the RNP.

Here's what gets me: If I don't enter all 3 fields (Target Secret, Initiator Username, Initiator Secret), it won't actually save the settings and they'll be blank the next time you open the Configure Security page.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Edit: the ReadyNAS Pro Business is running RAIDiator 4.2.16
Message 1 of 9
Jim_Uren
Aspirant

Re: ATTO iSCSI + CHAP - Won't Authenticate.

Hey darwin,

Your Xtend SAN license includes unlimited technical support via phone or email for the product. Please email techsupport@attotech.com or give us a call at 716-691-1999 and ask for tech support (x242). Be prepared to share your registration information so they can confirm you own the license.

Regards,

Jim U'Ren
Product Manager
ATTO Xtend SAN
Message 2 of 9
darwin1
Aspirant

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the response. I submitted a support ticket with ATTO along with this post and received a reply back from Steven Moseley:

You will need to contact Ready NAS about getting CHAP configured.  XtendSAN
only initiates an iSCSI connection and is not able to configure the target
device.

I found a site that talks about CHAP and target secrets that may help you
out.

The iSCSI protocol is publically available via an RFC at the IETF website

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3720.txt

I'll try phoning ATTO support instead...
Message 3 of 9
zebity
Aspirant

Hi ReadyNAS Mac Users,

I have also found that I could not get CHAP authentication to work with ATTO XtendSAN iSCSI initiator.
There is obviously some compatibility issues here.
I have disabled CHAP authentication for the time being to still allow me to use the ReadyNAS.

I also tried the GlobalSAN iSCSI initiator and while it authenticates ok, it does not otherwise work with OS X Lion.

Given that ATTO charge $195.00 for their product, I would expect to see universal support for 3rd party iSCSI servers.

Can you please keep posted on any progress. I will also raise a ticket with ATTO do help get some focus on issue.

Cheers,

Zebity.
(Mac Pro with OS X Lion & ReadyNAS Pro 6)
Message 4 of 9
darwin1
Aspirant

ATTO support asked me to run some tests for them and get logs. I haven't gotten a chance to but should this weekend. If/when there is a solution, I'll post it here.
Message 5 of 9
dmoffitt
Aspirant

Bump - any word on this? I'm about to upgrade to Lion and that means ATTO is (possibly) "my only hope" 😞
Message 6 of 9
dmoffitt
Aspirant

I still haven't had a chance to test CHAP w/ my new setup but will try to this weekend or next week.
Message 7 of 9
d_rick
Tutor

fyi, i'm having the exact same problems, but on windows.. chap turned on, doesn't work. chap turned off, works..

i think you may want to focus on the readynas a bit more vs. atto
Message 8 of 9
michielschutler
Aspirant

I just upgraded to RAIDiator 4.2.20 and can confirm that iSCSI CHAP authentication now works in combination with ATTO Xtend SAN 3.40.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements