× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Backup home folders on ReadyNAS 528X using replicate

craer
Aspirant

Backup home folders on ReadyNAS 528X using replicate

Finely i am able to get a real backup solution set  up using my old ready nas's,   after losing most files when readycloud went down this yea....

i am trying to get home folders (where i put most of my private files) to backup using replicate or and thing i can use to backup to a remote (not on my network) readynas.

every way i try replicate/ rsync home folders are not listed as a option to backup

i am running a 528x backing up to

rn102 (remote nas)

and once i get that working

backing up local rn314

all running OS6.7.5

so is there any way to backup private home folders to anything other then a usb connected device?

Thanks--

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage 8-Bay
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Backup home folders on ReadyNAS 528X using replicate

@craer wrote:

i dont know if the router where the remote nas will be has a dns on it. (YET)

cause i would rather push if i could chouse.

To be clear, you want DDNS, not ordinary DNS.  If the router doesn't support it, you can also install a DDNS client on a PC in that location.

@craer wrote:

i am using the moth on INT ips so exp:192.168.1.10 for Nas A and 192.168.1.20 for Nas B

not sure if i nead to open the port 22 when i get it working on Int IP and more it over to

EXT IP ( over the internet)

Of course test the backup job on your local network.

Later on (for push) you will need to replace the IP address for NAS B with the DDNS name.  And you will need to forward port 22 on the router for NAS B.

@craer wrote:

did you see and thing else i did wrong on any other  part of the setup? such as the shair ?  its a shair strait off the main root Data/(share name)

Again, getting the backup(s) working on the local lan will flush out any mistakes in the backup job settings.  In general, you will need rsync enabled for the destination share(s) on NAS B.

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 13

All Replies
crazy_toy
NETGEAR Expert

Hi craer

Sorry,replicate dont support back up home folders to remote,but you can create backup job to back up home folders to remote

Thanks

Message 2 of 13
craer
Aspirant

that sux Smiley Sad

ok for a backup job from what i read remote: Rsync Server

is the way to go

just i dont understand how to set it up or if that accepts home folders

the option under 😞

home folder is shaded out for rsync

letalone no bitrot

im sure host is (55.555.555.55) the ip  but is there a port?

and share if i was to push (data/home Folders)?

just cant find a good setup guide for a remote backup

Message 3 of 13
crazy_toy
NETGEAR Expert

NAS A and NAS B

if you want to back up home folders on NAS A to B , you can create backup job on NAS A , then remote is NAS B , like below screenshot

home backup.png

Message 4 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You should be using rsync over ssh, since this is going over the internet.  There's a guide here: https://kb.netgear.com/29929/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Setting-up-a-backup-job-with-rsync-over-SSH

You will also want to deploy DDNS (dynamic DNS) on the remote system,  so NAS A can reach NAS B using a name instead of an IP address that can change without notice.

Message 5 of 13
craer
Aspirant

first thanks guys i did get a test working using No SSH..

just a few things

what does it meen to set up a time from-till...? would it not just be here start at this time.

next working on the ssh part i am following the guide BUT its telling me "netgear may deny support if i turn ssh on.. is this true ad why?

lastly tell me more on how to set up the dns part i do like a host name it probly better then no-ip.. and this remote nas will be over 2000m away once i set it up

once more thanks

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

next working on the ssh part i am following the guide BUT its telling me "netgear may deny support if i turn ssh on.. is this true 

Support policies for that are here: https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

If you are simply installing certs and enabling rsync over ssh, you won't run into trouble here.

@craer wrote:

lastly tell me more on how to set up the dns part i do like a host name it probly better then no-ip.. and this remote nas will be over

You'll need dynamic DNS.  There are some free providers (noip.com being one).  Most newer routers have support for this - can you tell us what routers you have on both sites?

Message 7 of 13
craer
Aspirant

i have a netgear ac1900 i prity sure.

and the remote side is a stock verizon vios all in one dumb thing.

i dident know if there was anything that the RN can host its self

and thanks i will readup on the ssh

its bin a wile since i used ssh but never realy understanded what it did

i will try all of this thanks

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@craer wrote:

and thanks i will readup on the ssh

To be clear - the idea here is to tunnel rsync over ssh, in order to get an encrypted connection.  The guide I linked before ( https://kb.netgear.com/29929/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Setting-up-a-backup-job-with-rsync-over-SSH ) has all you need to know.  You don't need to use any ssh commands.

@craer wrote:

i have a netgear ac1900 i prity sure.

Nighthawk routers do include DDNS support (including the ability to get a free xxxx.mynetgear.com DDNS name).  If that's what you have, then you'd forward port 22 in the Nighthawk to your NAS.  The far end system would initiate the backup ("pull" backup), and it would use the DDNS name you get for the Nighthawk.

Message 9 of 13
craer
Aspirant

ok i can figer out the dns. will be nice to have set up once i have everything all done

i cant get the ssh part to work 

i did what thay said to do to the "T"

and i get a error.. i am using all internal ip's so i dont know if thats whats wrong

both readynas are both on the same network ATM

not sure what realy to do with the "key" A text file will be downloaded with the public key. Generally, this goes in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys of your destination

i tryed to place it in the admin ssh folder. tryed to coppy past the Key in to the text file in that folder by default.. not sure what to do  i know what it is just not where it goes

o and is it better to push or pull data

such as have to nas B pull it from A

or Nas A push it To B

2222222.png1111.png

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@craer wrote:

not sure what realy to do with the "key" A text file will be downloaded with the public key. Generally, this goes in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys of your destination

You just download the key, and then install it using the import key instructions (steps 1-8 on using a remote host).

It's best to do this in both directions (installing each key on the other NAS). 

@craer wrote:

such as have to nas B pull it from A

or Nas A push it To B

Push backups have small benefit - the source NAS takes a snapshot, and backs up the snapshot.   That ensures that nothing on the source changes while the backups are being run.  If your backups run on-shift (or if the source NAS is used 24/7), then I'd use push.

However, if the backup NAS runs on a power schedule, then a pull backup is needed - since the remote NAS might still be booting up when the backup starts.

Note that if you do a push, then DDNS needs to be running on the backup NAS router.  If you do a pull, then DDNS needs to be running on the source NAS router.

There are some instructions here: https://kb.netgear.com/23945/How-do-I-set-up-Dynamic-DNS-on-my-Nighthawk-router-if-I-already-have-a-...

You can create an account at noip.com.

Message 11 of 13
craer
Aspirant

thanks some good infor on the push pull.

i did the host user on both and swaped keys as you tell me to do and still nothing,

i am using the moth on INT ips so exp:192.168.1.10 for Nas A and 192.168.1.20 for Nas B

not sure if i nead to open the port 22 when i get it working on Int IP and more it over to

so my questions atm is when setting up ssh backup i put that host user account as the login and it doesent ask for a password for some reason??  (odd)  and dont use admin or root account (Right?)  and did you see and thing else i did wrong on any other  part of the setup? such as the shair ?  its a shair strait off the main root Data/(share name)

and just fyi the import key instructions are not user friendly kinda confusing. be nice if some one can do a utube vid on it Wink Wink

once more guys and gals thanks for everything

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@craer wrote:

To be clear, you want DDNS, not ordinary DNS.  If the router doesn't support it, you can also install a DDNS client on a PC in that location.

@craer wrote:

Of course test the backup job on your local network.

Later on (for push) you will need to replace the IP address for NAS B with the DDNS name.  And you will need to forward port 22 on the router for NAS B.

@craer wrote:

did you see and thing else i did wrong on any other  part of the setup? such as the shair ?  its a shair strait off the main root Data/(share name)

Again, getting the backup(s) working on the local lan will flush out any mistakes in the backup job settings.  In general, you will need rsync enabled for the destination share(s) on NAS B.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements