× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Expansion from 500gb to 2tb became a nightmare (Readynas 110

danielholm
Aspirant

Expansion from 500gb to 2tb became a nightmare (Readynas 110

Hi,

I got an old ReadyNas 1100 that had 4x500GB drives from start. One gave up so there were 3. I thought I should by some upgrade disks and went ahead and bought 2x2TB. Now begin the dream. I just inserted on of them and let it sync. It worked great. And I had read up on Xraid so I knew that installing one 2TB drive would let that one became a mirror and not actually adding any capacity to the already ~1,4TB. Fine. Then i inserted the last 2TB disk and let that one sync. Also mirroring. So still 1,4TB data storage and fully redundant. It was not fine. I wanted more storage, and since it is used for a backup backup I wanted at least 2TB of storage capacity.

So I did a factory reset and change of disk volume and raid. Enter the nightmare.

At first I'd said initializing in RAIDar, but then the NAS went away.
For 24h I let it on. Nothing but a slow blue blinking. Finally I powered it down by the power switch at the back. Tried to restart the factory reset a few times. Ni change. So i though it was one of the drives. Tried them in different order and finally found one that did boot - the old 500gb drives only.

So I thought, hey let's just redo everything from before with the start of 2x500 GB and than add 2x2TB.

It all went fine at the start but then when I inserted the 2TB drives I got these messages that they could not initialize.
Rebooted, tried factory reset, firmware upgrade (4.1.15-TB2),os reinstall and so on. Journal on, power down off, no snapshot. So on.

No the would help my poor new 2TB drives.

So I thought that I might connect them to a computer and do a check and format. No disks found.

So what have I done? Wrong? What? I mean, my drives where fine. Now they're dead. Why did my first factory reset hang, and could I somehow rescue my drives?

Cheers,
Daniel
Message 1 of 16
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: Expansion from 500gb to 2tb became a nightmare (Readynas

When you insert one of the 2TB drives on your NAS, does the raidar see if you have disk or does it say no disk detected?

When you have connected it to a PC, did you use a disk diganostic tool like seatools or WD lifeguard?
Message 2 of 16
StephenB
Guru

What firmware were you running initially? 2 TB drives weren't supported until 4.1.7.

If you can't access them with Seatools or Lifeguard then its possible the drives somehow got locked.

If they are accessible, then perhaps either zero them or delete the partitions before you try again.

What model drives?
Message 3 of 16
danielholm
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
What firmware were you running initially? 2 TB drives weren't supported until 4.1.7.

As stated above: 4.1.15-T2

StephenB wrote:
If you can't access them with Seatools or Lifeguard then its possible the drives somehow got locked.
If they are accessible, then perhaps either zero them or delete the partitions before you try again.

Just before I tried reinstalling the last time one of the drives was recognized as 2TB, that's why I restarted the NAS again to make it synk. But no access after that. I will try again now.

StephenB wrote:
What model drives?

Seagate Barracuda Green ST2000DL003

Nhellie wrote:
When you insert one of the 2TB drives on your NAS, does the raidar see if you have disk or does it say no disk detected?

Previously, if connected/inserted at boot, the blue light is slowly blinking and there it just stays without booting upp fully.

Nhellie wrote:
When you have connected it to a PC, did you use a disk diganostic tool like seatools or WD lifeguard?

As I noted above, the drives are not - at all - being found on a PC. So therefore I cannot run any type of test.
Message 4 of 16
danielholm
Aspirant

Output from dmesg when hotplug one of the 2TB drives:
==== SATA init channel 1
After INIT SATA channel 1, retry=10706, sata=113, status=50
--> SATA Hot add event on chn 1, 63104/60007184
hwif->irq = 33, add 1
No TLER on ST2000DL003-9VT166 �@
hde: ST2000DL003-9VT166 (s/n:5YD4V8XZ), ATA DISK drive (ATAEXT)
Link drive hde to its hwgroup.
hde: max request size: 512KiB
hde: use capacity 3907029168 sectors (2000398 MB)
Drive support hpa, still should not change max addr.
hde: 3907008688 sectors (2000388 MB), CHS=65535/255/63
hde: cache flushes supported
hde:chn=1, statu/LP_S=0x(d0/d050)29, 16
unknown partition table
sata_hotplug: /sbin/hotplug add hdeUser mode helper start.
done do_sata_hotplug
==== SATA init channel 1
After INIT SATA channel 1, retry=30000, sata=113, status=d0
Fail to get ready statu from drive.
Power glitch detected!!!
X_RAID_DRIVE_INIT 1
Disk number= 1: true=1, d=8041db38
Disk number= 1, true device.
Disk number= 2: true=1, d=8041e240
Disk number= 2, true device.
Disk number= 3: true=1, d=8041e948
Disk number= 3, true device.
Disk number= 4: true=1, d=8041f050
Disk number= 4, true device.
life_chn=d, new_chn=2
Init drives on 2
sata_drive_ready: not ready
djo, chn=1, dj_raid=1, chns=0 source=0 disks=0 parity=0, chn_image=d sector=175616/2ae00,sects=32, need_IO=0
djo1, chn=1, X_mode=NO_RAID, chns=1 source=13 disks=0 parity=f, sects=175616/2ae00 cmd=0
sata_drive_ready: not ready

Status = d0,chn=1,retry=50000,sata_interface_ready=1, true_d=1
No drive to check, size=0, how_many=0.
hde: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: 0xea
Waiting for non-IO result from PIO on hde, cmd ffffffff, drive not ready/td=1
xraid_ide: rq = null.
enable_irq after time out on irq 33
ide: failed opcode was: 0xea
Waiting for non-IO result from PIO on hde, cmd ffffffff, drive not ready/td=1
xraid_ide: rq = null.
enable_irq after time out on irq 33
ide: failed opcode was: 0xe5
Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

danielholm wrote:
StephenB wrote:

Well, what you actually said is that you upgraded to 4.1.15-T2 partway through. What firmware were you running initially?
Message 6 of 16
danielholm
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
danielholm wrote:
StephenB wrote:

Well, what you actually said is that you upgraded to 4.1.15-T2 partway through. What firmware were you running initially?

Ah sorry, I was running 4.1.14 from start.
Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

This should have worked, though I personally don't recommend green drives in a NAS (in my opinion Seagate VN or WDC Red drives are better choices)

Seatools should be able to find the drive in a PC even if Windows doesn't recognize the format. You can either use SATA or a USB enclosure (though seatools might not see the serial number if you use an enclosure, you can still run the diags).
Message 8 of 16
danielholm
Aspirant

Yeah I know, but I got them rather cheap and I don't rung it 24/7 since it's my backup backup. Thanks for the tip.

The drives are not recognized by BIOS in a PC. I've connected one of them to the NAS now again, and it is recognized, but wont sync - yet.
But hey, its something.

I started a sync and hope that the first 2TB drive will get online.
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

An old PC might not recognize 2 TB drives. Anything recent should see them.
Message 10 of 16
danielholm
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
An old PC might not recognize 2 TB drives. Anything recent should see them.

Same PC that I used to rescue data from one 2TB to another a week ago, but otherwise I thought so too. Tried on two different.
Message 11 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the 2TB disk may be bad. Also depending what firmware is on this disk it may have known issues with use in RAID arrays.
Message 12 of 16
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
Well the 2TB disk may be bad. Also depending what firmware is on this disk it may have known issues with use in RAID arrays.
True of course.
Message 13 of 16
danielholm
Aspirant

Ok. But why did the one first 2TB drive work flawlessly? Could I somehow "unlock" it so that it once again could be used in a PC or other NAS? Doesnt the dmesg above tell something of interest?
Message 14 of 16
danielholm
Aspirant

I think I found out what the issue is: the drives are stuck in BSY state. Off to buy a serial cable and start hacking this little F*ers.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Message 15 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you do a factory reset with the disk in place (wipes all data, settings, everything) it should unlock the disk if it is locked.
Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements