× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How Much Time to Format?

NASklr
Aspirant

How Much Time to Format?

I have an RN102 (6.2.3) that I have removed the old 1TB discs and replaced with two identical 3TB WD reds. The 3TB discs were tested on a PC, then volumes deleted prior to installing in the RN102. I went into boot menu and selected factory default. It took a few minutes for the 102 to settle down. Now it displays a solid power, disk1, disk2 lights, with ACT flickering randomly. It's been like that overnight.

When I use Raidar the device shows up as ready with two good drives. When I try to enter setup via the web ui it times out with a message that the device is busy. Is it busy formatting the drives? If so how long should that take?

Message 1 of 6
NASklr
Aspirant

Re: How Much Time to Format?

To answer my question, it took all day for the activity light to quit flashing. let's say 12-24 hours for new disks to get configured.

For some odd reason I can no longer access the web ui through Raidar, because it uses my default browser, Firefox. Before I installed the new discs Firefox could access the web ui. Now it times out. IE11 still works.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Firefox works fine with 6.2.5.  It seems odd that 6.2.3 would fail.

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There can be web browser compatibility issues introduced by a web browser update. A firmware update is needed in such cases to resolve it. Not sure if this is one of those.

Message 4 of 6
NASklr
Aspirant

Something to do with certificates. I went into Firefox settings and deleted old certs for my ReadyNAS, then told Firefox to trust it when I attempted to connect to the UI. That fixed it. (Raidar was trying to connect by IP. If I substituted the host name it connected fine.)

Restoring to factory defaults when I changed drives confused Firefox somehow.

It also confused me. I thought I couldn't connect to the UI while the drives were syncing because the NAS was busy. Apparently it was a certificate issue.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

With Firefox, you can simply create a security exception for the NAS,  there is no need to install the certs.

The factory default of course will recreate new certs on the NAS.   

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements