× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

IP Address Stuck

NJZGuy
Aspirant

IP Address Stuck

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 4 that has served me well over the years. I recently moved into a new apartment and had to change Internet Service Providersd as a result (From Cablevision/Optimum to Comcast/Xfinity). The new Xfinity Internet/Wireless Router. Unfortunately, I am now locked out of the ReadyNAS because the IP Address seems to be stuck at 192.168.0.100. I tried the OS Install option from the LCD Boot Menu and have tried connecting to it with laptop connected to LAN port 1 with regular and cross Ethernet cables and the IP set to 192.168.0.1 manually on the laptop's Ethernet adaptor--but I can't get into Frontview to make the changes to the NAS so it will be seen on the new network.

The NAS was set to pull the IP address, Gateway and DNS entries from the router automatically, which is why I'm puzzled that this happened.

I don't want to erase the drives just to reset it. Is there any way I can remote into it to get it fixed?

Message 1 of 7
ifixidevices
Luminary

Re: IP Address Stuck

Why don't you just shut the readynas unit off, plug it into a router that has DHCP enabled on it, let it assign it an IP and then connect your computer up to that same router (let it assign an IP on the computer) and then log into the unit based on the IP address it was given from the router.

Then I would assign it an IP address outside of the dhcp range and leave it static. I'm not sure what kind of network gear you have (perhaps you're using comcast's router) but I've always found it's better to use your own equipment than pay a monthly charge for the stuff that these big ISP's dole out.

That'd be my suggestion...

Message 2 of 7
NJZGuy
Aspirant

Already tried that. The Comcast router does have DHCP enabled and has assigned IPs to all the the devices on my network except the Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 (and yes, it is configured to automatically obtain its network settings from DHCP).

And as much as I would like to use my own router, that's not an option with Comcast.

Message 3 of 7
ifixidevices
Luminary

Do you have a different router you can temporarily use for this purpose?

Sounds like something isn't right with the comcast one. If you didn't care about what was on it then it'd be a different story but I'd try a different router. Some routers behave badly. I know with my router I can't get to my motorola modem stats page and it's a common problem for a certain model cisco router.

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

If the NAS can't get a DHCP address, it fails over to 192.168.168.168.  What status (and IP address) is RAIDar telling you? 

FWIW, if the address is 192.168.0.100, then likely the default gateway would be 192.168.0.1.  So that would be a bad IP address to set the laptop to.  Maybe try 192.168.0.101, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

No need for a crossover cable btw.

BTW, did you mean to say you did an OS reinstall?

Message 5 of 7
NJZGuy
Aspirant

A buddy lent me his old DLink and I hooked the NAS up to it and my laptop. RAIDAR found it immediately--it had been assigned 192.168.0.x (don't recall now) address besides the 192.168.0.100 that was still displaying on the LED. I backed all of my data up off the NAS just in case something went fubar after manually assigning an IP and I had to do a factory reset to wipe it and start fresh.One thing I did experiment with was to replace the four drive I had in there with two blank spares. I connected it to the Comcast router, launched RAIDAR and it of course treated them like new drives. Interestingly enough, the Comcast router had no problem assigning the NAS a 10.0.0.x address via DHCP--which displayed on the LED. Wouldn't do it for my original four drives though, no matter how many times I would do the non-destructive OS-Install from the Boot Menu. But I was able to assign and reserve a new static IP to the NAS to match what the Comcast router was happy with, and it's all working now.

Thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 7
NJZGuy
Aspirant

RAIDar wasn't seeing the NAS at all. Doing the non-destructive OS reinstall caused the ip address to be set somewhere near the middle of the 192.168.0 range. I didn't find that out until I connected the NAS and my laptop to another router that happened to be using the 192,168.0.x address range and RAIDar finally saw it. I was able to reserve and set a static IP on the NAS to match the new Comcast router (after I backed everything up off the NAS just in case something went wrong that might lock me out of it and force me to do a Factory Install from the NAS Boot Menu).

Glad it's finally working on the new network now....

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements