× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Large Used/Free Space Discrepancy

FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Large Used/Free Space Discrepancy

Hi,

I'm trying to work out why our backup NAS system is reporting such a huge discrepancy between our consumed space and our free space. As per the screenshot below, the consumed space adds up to about 17.6TB. However, we have 21.81TB in total, with only 655.73GB free. We could really use those missing terabytes.

Snapshots are off (Smart -> Never). I've rebooted it (which has been good for clearing up space consumed by aborted/failed backups in the past). I've also defragged and balanced it. I'm yet to do a recent scrub, but the description doesn't make it sound like it will help.

Interestingly, the primary NAS unit has more than twice as much space free, despite backing up via Rsync (with 'delete files' ticked) and storing an extra folder with significant amounts of data. That's still leaving several TB unaccounted for though, and for some reason it doesn't have an available or consumed data column for me to look at, despite both devices running 6.9.1.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Space discrepancy.png

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Re: Large Used/Free Space Discrepancy

I've discontinued the use of these NAS boxes and moved to custom fileservers. We were using about 20.5TB. No doubt recreating the volumes would have helped recover the missing 1-2TB.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

How old is the volume?  Is it possible that snapshots were turned on at some point?  Turning them off doesn't delete existing snapshots; it just stops creating new ones.

Might be worth enabling ssh, and enter btrfs sub list //data - looking for any .snapshot folders in its output.

Message 2 of 13
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Ah, that is probably it. They are old volumes and snapshots would have been on at times in the past. I just assumed the GUI would show me if they still exist.

btrfs sub list //data

couldn't find a directory, so I changed it to

btrfs sub list //<nasvolumehere>

and there were 3 .snapshot paths listed. Also one .timemachine if that's relevant.

Is there a simple way to delete them?

Message 3 of 13
StephenB
Guru

You should be able to delete them from the web UI (select snapshots from the share list, then select the share.  Right-click on one or more snapshots, and you'll see a delete option).

btrfs sub delete <<pathname>> should work too.  Just be careful to delete the snapshot, and not the share.

Space isn't freed up instantly, the datablocks are freed in the background.

Message 4 of 13
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Hmm, no dice unfortunately. No snapshots were visible in the GUI at any point. I deleted them through SSH, but no space was freed up at all, even after a reboot and balance.

Message 5 of 13
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

FreeFileSync is reporting 20.7GB of files as I back up to a different file system, so maybe BTRFS is just a bit confused and under reporting space usage in its share breakdown?

Message 6 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you do Time Machine backups to your NAS?

Message 7 of 13
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

Nah. It's just a simple SAMBA NAS for manually putting files on.

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Space is freed up in the background, so you might look again (now that the system has been up for a while).

Another approach is that you can make a backup of the shares, and then delete/recreate/restore them one at a time.  Or of course start fresh - delete the volume, create a new one, and restore the data.  

Message 9 of 13
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

There's definitely no space freed up, but based on the backup I'm doing to the impending replacement system, even a fresh volume would probably just make it mostly report higher usage on each share.

That said, it will probably be worth trying that route anyway once I'm satisfied I have safe copies of the data. It will take around a week over a gigabit connection though, so this thread will be idle until then.

Message 10 of 13
FloodlightMedia
Aspirant

I've discontinued the use of these NAS boxes and moved to custom fileservers. We were using about 20.5TB. No doubt recreating the volumes would have helped recover the missing 1-2TB.

Message 11 of 13
Bitcoin
Aspirant

Space is freed up in the background, so you might look again (now that the system has been up for a while).

Another approach is that you can make a backup of the shares, and then delete/recreate/restore them one at a time.  Or of course start fresh - delete the volume, create a new one, and restore the data. 

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Bitcoin - I suggest that you remove the bitcoin references in your signature, and refrain from inserting bitcoin hyperlinks in your future posts.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements