× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Migrating from RN102 to RN214

oneoneseven
Follower

Migrating from RN102 to RN214

Greetings,

I'm in a bit of a pickle here and I need some guidance on migrating over from an old ReadyNAS to a new one. I have an older RN102 unit, and the lifespan of the drives (RAID1) are coming to a close. To replace this unit, I purchased a brand new RN214. I initially planned to just take the USB backup I've been making nightly from the RN102, plug it into the RN214, and restore all the shares/data onto the new unit...however, I very quickly found out that the scenario I am in is not one Netgear calculated for, and there is no such feature.

Do I have to manually recreate all the shares, permissions & users and push all the data to the new NAS myself? Or is there something I'm missing that will make my life easier?

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 3
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Migrating from RN102 to RN214

Hi oneoneseven,

Welcome to the Community!

There should be no problem in migrating the disks from RN102 to RN214 since both units have OS6 firmware. The settings (shares, permissions, users, etc) should still be there after migrating the disks to the new OS6.

You may check this link as well for more information.

Regards,

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Migrating from RN102 to RN214

@oneoneseven wrote:

Do I have to manually recreate all the shares, permissions & users and push all the data to the new NAS myself? Or is there something I'm missing that will make my life easier?

As @JohnCM_S says, you can simply power down the RN102, move the disks to the new NAS and power it up.

Or you could back up the configuration settings (system->settings->configuration backup).  Make sure any apps you have running on the RN102 are installed on the RN214 before you restore the settings on the RN214.   Also, some settings aren't migrated, so you should still spot-check the settings. 

Though personally I just re-do the configuration from scratch myself.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements