× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No IP address.....can I fix this?

khedger
Aspirant

No IP address.....can I fix this?

I have a readynas duo v1. I have it networked to an apple airport extreme. Originally, I had the airport server DHCP and everything worked fine. Comcast upgraded me to the latest cable box/router. Now the config is the same as before, except the airport is now in 'bridge' mode and the cable router is serving DHCP. So, my duo's old IP address was 192.168.1.99 and now the IP addresses being serveed by the cable box are 10.0.0.xxx. All of the my devices (two macs, airport, ipad, cell phone) show up on my network EXCEPT the duo. I've tried powering it on and off. I've networked it to the cable box instead of the airport......it just seems to not be getting an IP address from the cable box, though everythiing else is.

So what do I do???  I've read some articles about using readynas remore or direct connecting, but I can't do any of these without knowing or being able to set an IP address.

Am I totally screwed here????

Model: RND2000v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
khedger
Aspirant

Re: No IP address.....can I fix this?

One other note. All of the devices that ARE showing up are using my wireless network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
khedger
Aspirant

One other note. All of the devices that ARE showing up are using my wireless network.

Message 2 of 4
khedger
Aspirant

I unexpectadly found a workaround for the networking aspect of this, allowing me to get to the readnas and all's well. Sorry to waste anybody's time.

Message 3 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Next time Comcast comes to do something like that, tell them to put their device is pass-through mode so it doesn't mess with your network.  If the tech says he can't do that, he's just poorly trained -- have him call his supervisor.  I had a cable guy who set mine up as double-NAT, though I didn't realize it at first.  After realizing what he'd done, I got through the first level of phone support and convinced the real tech I knew what I was doing, and he walked me through how to put their router into pass-through mode (so it simply acts like a modem).  Oh, and then make sure they aren't charging you for a router you aren't using as one.  My cable company advertises a "free modem" with internet service, which does not mean "free router".  Then, conveniently (for them), none of the tech's carry simple modems in their trucks.  They scan in the router, and it's added to your monthly bill.  It took another call and second-level support to get that removed from my bill.

What I'm sure you ran into is that you previously put your NAS into static IP mode to reserve an address.  That's not the best way to do it, precisely for instances like this.  It is much better to make a reservation in the router.  Glad you found a solution.  This info is more for anyone else finding this and looking for an answer to a similar problem.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements