× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem with NV+ (v1)

trumpy81
Aspirant

Problem with NV+ (v1)

I have an issue with my NV+, It seems that something has gone wrong with RAIDiator 4.1.14 and I am unable to access the ReadyNAS via CIFS, the NV+ wont accept the connection according to Windows.

Frontview opens but if I go to System->Shutdown and select any of the options there it does nothing after clicking on apply.

I tried to manually install the firmware again but I get 'Invalid Image' after uploading it to the NV+. I have verified the md5 and the file is intact so it wasn't a failed download.

Also, if I go to Volumes->Volume Settings it shows 2 of my drives as being 0mb free, the other two report 1860 GB Free and disk space reports 0 MB (0%) of 0 MB used. If I select 'locate' nothing happens, IE: The LED does NOT flash and the 'Resync Volume' button is greyed out. It seems that I cannot do anything in Frontview at all.

I have pressed the reset button (small hole on the back) for 5 and 30 secs with the power off, but it just boots back up as per normal without reinstalling the firmware or resetting to factory specs. In Frontview->System->Update->Factory Default I clicked on factory default entered FACTORY and still nothing, the NV+ simply does not respond to the command.

I deliberately switched the power off while it was running, hoping that it would force a volume resync, I got a message saying 'Checking root FS' and then 'Check FS: 0%' It re-synced the volume but there is no change at all after that completed.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing working properly again?

Do I need to remove the drives and reformat them before starting over? I hope not, my volume was ~90% full and transferring 4.75TB of data is rather painful, it takes days to complete @ ~20Mb/s.

System Details:
Netgear NV+ (v1) (hardware revision 3)
3x Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 2TB each
1x Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 2TB

Windows 7 Professional x64
Firefox v35.0.1

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Problem with NV+ (v1)

Do you have a backup of your data? I assume so as you tried a factory default which wipes all data.

Sounds like you may have a few issues here. Possibly a bad disk and maybe a full OS partition.
Message 2 of 13
trumpy81
Aspirant

Yes I do have a full backup, so that's not a problem. 🙂

True to form, soon after I posted, I tried the Frontview->System->Update->Factory Default again, with RAIDar running this time and it worked. After going through the motions though the #4 Drive LED was blinking so I assumed it was a failed drive.

I shut down the NAS and I replaced the drive with another Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (pulled from the PC downstairs and known working) and it came up and said 'Disk 4 Sync' but a short time afterwards the message disappeared and the #4 Drive LED started blinking again. Slowly at first, but then it increased in frequency to about once per second. Is this normal? Is the drive simply syncing or do I have a failed SATA connection?

I have finally been able to access Frontview and I am in the process of reconfiguring the NAS.

On the LCD it displays the IP address followed by C: 5.4/5.4T Free, but in Volumes->Volume Settings all drives state 1859GB Allocated except for drive 4 which has the 'locate' button greyed out and nothing about being allocated or otherwise.

Help!
Message 3 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

When you do a factory default a sync is required, to sync the disks sector by sector to setup the RAID. It is normal when all four slots are filled for the Disk 4 light to be blinking during this sync.

Under Volumes do you see a sync in progress?
Message 4 of 13
trumpy81
Aspirant

Yeah, I don't know how I missed it, maybe it hadn't displayed yet? Anyhow it says that it is syncing and it will take another 7 hours to complete.

Oh well, I always wanted to replace the Hitachi, it was never meant to be in there in the first place, but I managed to somehow mix up the drives when I installed them in the NV+. :lol:

It seems that all will be well now, but I will have to prune some of the files I had on the NV+ and make sure I keep that last 10% free, that's the only thing I can think of that may have caused this issue, apart from a failed drive, but there was no indication that it had failed, certainly no email message informing me of a failed drive. I only became aware of a problem when I tried to access the NAS from Windows Explorer, it seemed to be working correctly otherwise.

Anyhow, thanks for your assistance it is very much appreciated.

I have just one question for you, and that is will the Seagate ST2000VN000 run in this NAS? This drive was not around when the compatibility table was compiled. If I need to replace another drive I would probably have to use one of these, the old Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166's are pretty thin on the ground these days.
Message 5 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The SeaGate NAS disks should work, but you do need to consider the support implications if you run into issues using a disk not on the compatibility list.

Do you know what disk firmware is on your ST2000DL003-9VT166 disks (e.g. CC3C)?
Message 6 of 13
trumpy81
Aspirant

Not offhand no, is there a way to find out without removing the drives?

I'm pretty sure my drives already had the later CC3D firmware installed when I bought them but it would be nice to check.
Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Go to Status > Health and click on the SMART+ button for each drive.
Message 8 of 13
trumpy81
Aspirant

Thanks, I just checked and they are all CC32 is that good or bad?

How do I update the firmware?
Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The firmware on those disks can't be upgraded. I wouldn't recommend using those disks.
Message 10 of 13
trumpy81
Aspirant

I checked and CC32 is the latest/last firmware update offered for these drives by Seagate.

Why don't you recommend them?

What would you recommend?
Message 11 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

CC3D is newer firmware and not available as an upgrade for your drives. You need CC3C firmware to be able to update to CC3D.

There is a known issue with these drives. See http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=64510

The SeaGate NAS drive you mentioned sounds like a decent choice or maybe the WD RED
Message 12 of 13
trumpy81
Aspirant

Well all I can say is that for the past 4 years I have not had any issues with these drives at all. Maybe the bug missed my drives? :lol:

I have only had to resync the volume on two occasions, the first because of a power outage before my UPS arrived and the second because the UPS battery died.

The only thing that has changed recently is the upgrade to RAIDiator 4.1.14.

I'm not overly concerned though if the NV+ dies, I already have a DS1813+ to fall back on. If a drive dies, I may replace it or I may sell off the NV+ or scrap it for parts.

I keep it around because it has been so reliable and my only complaint with it is, that it is so slow... I will miss it when it's gone but until then I'm sure it will soldier on, or at least I hope so! ... :lol:
Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements