× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN 102 connection via USB & Ethernet

gridding
Aspirant

RN 102 connection via USB & Ethernet

Hi

I have an RN 102 with 1 HDD in at present and am connected to in on my network via ethernet ,

connection running off my laptop at 10 mps.

It wasn't a problem this speed untill recently I thought about upgrading my laptop and using the rn102 as secondary storage, 

planning on adding another hdd to make it a pair and add protection for my files.

But to improve connection speeds I noticed that the RN102 has usb 3 conectivity as well as most laptops including my present laptop, if I am connected by usb and ethernet how do I ensure I get the best connection speed interface.

If I discinnect the ethernet and wi fi the network to the rn102 is stilol there via my router and other houshold devices.

Had a look in the manual and a brief search on the forum but can't see anything quickly, so thought I'd throw this out and see if there is an easy answer.

all help much appreciated

cheers

G

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Are you sure you are runnig at 10m bits per second, not 10m bytes per sec, which is close to what you'll observe with a 100m bits per sec connection.  

That is the first thing to confirm.  You can see this in Windows - if you are running Windows 10, the process is here: https://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/

If you are running 10 m bits, then I suggest starting by getting a new ethernet cable between the laptop and the switch.  You could also try a new switch port.

FWIW, upgrading your  FS605 switch to a gigabit switch would be very inexpensive.  A GS308 costs less than $20 on Amazon US at the moment.  I'd do that even if your current laptop can't take advantage of it.

You could get a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter for your laptop for another $15 or so. But you need at least a cat5e ethernet cable in order to get gigabit speed.  Most cables have that rating printed on the cable itself - if yours doesn't, then maybe add a cat 6 or cat 6a cable to the order.

Doing all three of these things should get you a lot better speeds for less than $50US.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The USB connectors on the ReadyNAS can only be used for adding a USB drive or a UPS.  So it has to be connected to your network over ethernet.  You can of course reach it with either wifi or ethernet.

10 mbps is very slow for modern ethernet - most folks would have gigabit, with some others using 100 megabit ethernet.

Can you describe the connection path between the laptop and the router (any switches, hubs, etc)?

If the NAS is near the laptop, then one option is to get a small gigabit switch (~ $20 USD), and connect both the laptop and the NAS to the router using the switch.  Then you'd have a gigabit connection to the NAS (though the link to the router would still be slow).

Message 2 of 8
gridding
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks for the swift response, 

My laptop is a HP pavilion g6 2244 connected via ethernet to a netgear F605 10 / 100 switch

The RN102 is also connected to the same Netgear switch

I was always under the impression the connection speed should be automaticly set, is ther any way of interogating the switch ?

or is it more likeley the drivers for the laptop ?

the network lights are flashing amber ( orange ) when transfering data which I believe to be 10 mps

the transfer speed on the laptop also says 10 mps

any ideas

cheers

Graham

Message 3 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

The network speed is auto-negotiate, up to the max rate of the slowest component involved.

From the specs on your computer:  Network Card Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN

You are the unfortunate victim of a computer company trying to save pennies on a low-end consumer PC.  Since most use WiFi on a laptop, there were computers of that era (2012/13) that didn't bother with a gigabit Ethernet connection.  Yours is one of them.

Since it has USB3, a USB3 to gigabit Ethernet adapter (assuming your network supports gigabit) or an AC WiFi USB device (assuming your router/access point supports AC protocol) could improve your speed.

Message 4 of 8
gridding
Aspirant

Hi
Thanks for those thoughts, if I have an ethernet adaptor in the laptop , a network switch all 10 / 100 spec any ideas why I cant get in the 100 mps bracket, can cables be a contributing factor ?
Cheers
G
Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Are you sure you are runnig at 10m bits per second, not 10m bytes per sec, which is close to what you'll observe with a 100m bits per sec connection.  That 10/100 is bits, not bytes, and 100mbit Ethernet is still slow.

If it really is 10mbit, it could be a cable issue or failing hardware in any of the boxes in the path.  I have one NAS that, when connected to a "green" switch only negotiates a10mb connection.  I believe it was damaged by a surge resulting from a local lightning strike.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Are you sure you are runnig at 10m bits per second, not 10m bytes per sec, which is close to what you'll observe with a 100m bits per sec connection.  

That is the first thing to confirm.  You can see this in Windows - if you are running Windows 10, the process is here: https://winaero.com/blog/see-the-ethernet-or-wifi-adapter-speed-in-windows-10/

If you are running 10 m bits, then I suggest starting by getting a new ethernet cable between the laptop and the switch.  You could also try a new switch port.

FWIW, upgrading your  FS605 switch to a gigabit switch would be very inexpensive.  A GS308 costs less than $20 on Amazon US at the moment.  I'd do that even if your current laptop can't take advantage of it.

You could get a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter for your laptop for another $15 or so. But you need at least a cat5e ethernet cable in order to get gigabit speed.  Most cables have that rating printed on the cable itself - if yours doesn't, then maybe add a cat 6 or cat 6a cable to the order.

Doing all three of these things should get you a lot better speeds for less than $50US.

Message 7 of 8
gridding
Aspirant

Hi

Thanks guys for all your help, every days a school day, been a victim, of bits and bytes LOL

don't think I'm ready to spash any major cash on improving the communications speeds,

but its not stopping me improving my back up security for my data.

maybe when I have a few of my priority projects sorted I will re think my computer network.

There is one thing for certain, there are always computer advancements lol

again thanks for the advice its much appreciated.

G \../ 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements