× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN10400 Power supply failure - flashing green light

Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

RN10400 Power supply failure - flashing green light

Hi,

My power supply has failed - the green light flashes about once per second and the NAS powers up for that split second and then goes off again. I suspect it's the power supply. It has a special connection at the NAS end so I'm guessing I can't easily by one from an electrical dealer.

Do Netgear have spare parts which I can purchase or does anyone have a spare one I can buy from them?

Thanks 

Andrew

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 21
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN10400 Power supply failure - flashing green light

@Andrew_Oz

Welcome to the Community!

If it's the adapter you need you can purchase a 4-PIN DIN AC Adapter (12V, 7A External 90W; input 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz) on Amazon or other online stores.

If it's the Internal Power Supply on the RN104 spare parts are not available from NETGEAR, the best thing to do would be to purchase a refurbished RN104 online or upgrade to a newer NAS if possible. If your RN104 was purchased under 3 years RMA can be provided to you. You just need to register it at my.netgear.com and create a case.

You will also have to provide the Proof of Purchase upon requesting for RMA.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 21
Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your reply. The green light on the adapter flashes so I'm assuming it's that which has expired. If so, is this what you mean as far as a replacement goes?

https://www.amazon.com.au/StarTech-com-SVA12DN4NEUA-StarTech/dp/B01MCWYPIY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=4-PIN...

Thanks

Message 3 of 21
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Andrew_Oz

Yes that would do, if you want to have the original, contacting Support might help. They usually allow purchase of Power Adapters provided your ReadyNAS was purchased from an Authorized reseller.

HTH

Regards

Message 4 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Andrew_Oz wrote:

If so, is this what you mean as far as a replacement goes?

https://www.amazon.com.au/StarTech-com-SVA12DN4NEUA-StarTech/dp/B01MCWYPIY/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=4-PIN...

Close, though @Marc_V said 7A not 6.5A.  Might still be enough - it depends in part on the disks you've chosen.

Message 5 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

Not all 12V supplies with 4-pin DIN use the same pin-out.  Since Startech fails to divulge which they use, I would not trust that it works without first contacting them or having somebody here verify it works, especially at that rather outrageous price.  It has been posted in ths forum that the two positive pins are on either side of the connector key, though I have no means to verify.

Message 6 of 21
Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

Hi again,

I'd rather have an authentic power adapter but I can't see how to contact support without having to pay them just to contact them. Do you know if there is there a general number or email address I can use?

Many thanks

Andrew

Message 7 of 21
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Andrew_Oz

Is your device registered to MyNETGEAR Portal? If so, can you PM me your Serial number so I can help you check the availability of the Power Adapter.

HTH

Regards

Message 8 of 21
Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

Thanks Marc, That would be fantastic!

It is registered and the serial number is 3EP83CER00109.

Please let me know how else I can help.

Andrew

Message 9 of 21
Sandshark
Sensei

Note that I have since found information that the StarTech power adapter does not have the same pin-out as a ReadyNAS supply.

In a reply to a question on Amazon, StarTech states "If looking directly at the 4 pin connector of our SVA12DN4NEUA with the flat side facing the floor. The 2 left pins are 12V and the 2 right pins are ground.".  In that orientation, my understanding is that the ReadyNAS supply should have both positive pins at the bottom.

Message 10 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

Note that I have since found information that the StarTech power adapter does not have the same pin-out as a ReadyNAS supply.

There are adapters out there that claim to be compatible with the RN104.  For instance: https://www.amazon.com/PK-Power-RN10400-100NAS-RN10442D-100NAS-RN10400100NAS/dp/B06XXTBP7N

Might be simplest just to get one of those.

Message 11 of 21
Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

Hi again,

I ordered this one from AC adaptors in the UK: https://www.acadaptorsrus.co.uk/replacement-for-netgear-ite-power-supply-332-10363-02-12v-7-0a-nu90-...

It looks as though it should work but does nothing.

When I check the old power supply the light only flashes when it's plugged into the NAS. If it's not plugged into the NAS the green light on the power brick stays on. Maybe it's not the external power supply but maybe something in the NAS?

What do you think?

Andrew

Message 12 of 21
Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB 

OK, I have another update.

If I remove all the disks, it actually boots the NAS. I have tried every combination of the 4 disks, but when any or all of them are plugged in it won't boot. I'm thinking (and hoping) it's not all 4 disks which are faulty but something in the NAS???

And if so, what do I need to do to be able to read the data off my disks? Are the disks (non RAID) compatible in any other Netgear NAS?

Andrew

Message 13 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Andrew_Oz wrote:

Are the disks (non RAID) compatible in any other Netgear NAS?

You can migrate your disks to any other OS-6 platform (both arm and x86).  Though if you were to migrate to x86, some apps would fail. Also, if you migrate to x86 I strongly recommend installing the same firmware you have on the RN104 on the replacement NAS before you migrate.

@Andrew_Oz wrote:

And if so, what do I need to do to be able to read the data off my disks?

There now are Windows versions of mdadm and btrfs available (neither mature), so you could try installing them and see if the PC can read the files.  Note I haven't tried this.

You could also try ReclaiMe Raid Recovery Software (not free, but if the disks are failing it might be the best recovery option).  https://www.reclaime.com/

@Andrew_Oz wrote:

I have tried every combination of the 4 disks, but when any or all of them are plugged in it won't boot. I'm thinking (and hoping) it's not all 4 disks which are faulty but something in the NAS???

It seems unlikely that all four would fail (its more likely a SATA issue or power distribution problem in the chassis).  Still, it's conceivable that the original failure might have either corrupted the OS partition's file system somehow, or even damaged the disks. So you might want to test the disks.  You can do that by connecting them to a Windows PC (either with SATA or a USB adapter/dock) and using vendor tools (Seatools for Seagate; Lifeguard for Western Digital).

Also, if you have a spare disk somewhere you might try doing a factory install on that disk (of course anything on it will be lost).  

When did you purchase the NAS?  Have you checked the warranty status (as suggested by @Marc_V earlier in the thread)?

Message 14 of 21
Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

Hi @StephenB 

After 2 attempts to get a power supply shipped from the UK, it finally breaths life again. Relief!

Thanks for all your help and suggestions though.

Andrew

Message 15 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@Andrew_Oz wrote:

After 2 attempts to get a power supply shipped from the UK, it finally breaths life again. Relief!

Great to hear.  Thx for following up.

Message 16 of 21
DarrenHa
Aspirant

Hi what power supply did you end up buying? Do you have a link?
Message 17 of 21
Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

Hi,

I bought this one (SKY) from AC Adaptors in the UK and had it shipped to Australia. It didn’t work so I told them and they sent another one free of charge and that one works fine.

SKY EPS44W0-16

https://www.acadaptorsrus.co.uk/genuine-sky-12v-7-0a-hdtv-e-isso-603983-ac-adaptor-84w-eps44w0-16-po...

Good luck!

Message 18 of 21
DarrenHa
Aspirant

Thanks for that, my NAS104 has the 4 pin connector. The link you send is only a single pin
Message 19 of 21
Andrew_Oz
Aspirant

Yep mines only a single pin, but they may well have one suitable for yours. Give them a look.

Message 20 of 21
StephenB
Guru

@DarrenHa wrote:
Thanks for that, my NAS104 has the 4 pin connector. The link you send is only a single pin

Where are you located?

If you simply search amazon (or similar sites) for a RN104 power adapter, you will likely find a third party replacement.  For instance, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Replacement-Adaptor-Supply-Netgear-ReadyNas/dp/B07Y8M5HLW

This post has some additional information: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/RN104-power-supply/m-p/1035410#M102...

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements