× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Reading Netgear Readynas NV+ disk from a Windows system

BKWinePer
Follower

Reading Netgear Readynas NV+ disk from a Windows system

My ReadyNAS NV+ just died. (Probably a failed power supply.) It is old so I decided to just replace it with a new NAS.

My question:

I want to remove the disks from the (dead) NAS and connect them through an HD dock to a Windows system so that I can read the contents.

How do I do that?

I tried to use the Ext2fsd tool to mount an ext volume to Windows (I thought the NAS disk was maybe in an Ext format) but that does not work. The Ext2fsd tool sees the parts of the old NAS disk: a small one that is "ext3", that is accessible but does not contain the data, a second small part that is labelled "raw", and a third that is big (the full disk size) and is "raw" but that I cannot access ("the volume does not contain a recognised file system").

So how do I do to read the ex-NAS disks from a Windows system?

I should perhaps add that the dead NAS was configures in Raid 1.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

Re: Reading Netgear Readynas NV+ disk from a Windows system

The NAS file system is ext, though there is a RAID layer underneath that.  

The two disks are formatted differently - the "mirror" is partitioned in such a way that you can't see the file system.  So try using the other disk.

I also suggest using a different tool - r-linux for windows (free): https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/

Message 2 of 4
marceloxlago
Aspirant

Hi everyone. I would like to know the step by step how to do this on Linux or Windows, because I can't see anything on the HD RAID. I didn't find specific information for the system. Thanks

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@marceloxlago wrote:

Hi everyone. I would like to know the step by step how to do this on Linux or Windows, because I can't see anything on the HD RAID. I didn't find specific information for the system. Thanks

Did you try the free recovery tool I linked above?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements