× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Ready NAS Direct connect Network errors

Ianbpro3
Aspirant

Ready NAS Direct connect Network errors

Hello All,

I've had a Ready NAS Duo V1 for some years now, no problems at all.  Always connected to the router.  Anyway... Things have changed and I need to connect directly to my Mac (running High Sierra 10.13.6).  

Its all hooked up and I can transfer files, but its incredibly slow.  Seems to freeze when copying or deleting large files.

I have also noticed there are loads of network errors logged, thats just today 😞

Screen Shot 2022-03-05 at 11.24.05.png

Does anybody have any idea whats going on?

Cheers

Ian

Model: RND2110|ReadyNAS Duo 1TB (1 X 1TB)
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Ready NAS Direct connect Network errors

It's hard to diagnose with the information we have.  It would be good to check that the ethernet cable is securely plugged in on both ends.

If you can log into frontview, then maybe download the full log zip from the NAS, and look for errors there.  FWIW, ethernet stats are in network_settings.log - but this could be something else, not necessarily an ethernet problem.

Message 2 of 10
Ianbpro3
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen,

I've located said log, and it looks like there are afew errors

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 13.35.23.png

RX packets.... 4 errors?

Ian

Message 3 of 10
Ianbpro3
Aspirant

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 13.35.23.png

Message 4 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

It appears you have jumbo frames enabled.  If you do and something on the network doesn't support them (or the packet length specified), it can cause a lot of issues.  Have you tried disabling them?

Message 5 of 10
Ianbpro3
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the reply, I actually enabled it to see if it sped things up abit, but no 😞

I’m going to buy a new cable and see how that goes
Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@Ianbpro3 wrote:

RX packets.... 4 errors?

Yes, over 100M received packets. Those aren't enough errors to explain a major slowdown.  The bulk of the network errors were reported on the PC, and those are on the PC RX (so the NAS TX).

If jumbo frames aren't helping, then you should turn them off.

Have you looked for disk errors in system.log and kernel.log?

Message 7 of 10
Ianbpro3
Aspirant

Thankyou.  I've had a look at the logs, and took a screenshot of the last ones, there looks like there could be something going on

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 19.55.39.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-15 at 19.55.39.png

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

upnp isn't going to work with your ethernet connection setup.

I don't think those errors will cause a network slowdown. But you could turn off the upnp and bonjour services in Frontview (Services->Discovery Services) and see.

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

What caused you to disconnect from the router?  If it wasn't working any longer, and you've already tried a new cable, then I'm beginning to suspect a hardware problem in the NAS with a weak (but still marginally operational) Ethernet transceiver.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements