× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS 1100 showing corrupt root

ecsaschar
Aspirant

ReadyNAS 1100 showing corrupt root

Our ReadyNAS 1100 started showing smart errors about two weeks ago and went into "Life Support" mode. Now the ReadyNAS is showing corrupt root and will not boot up. I've contacted Tech Support but it has been 9 days and they still haven't logged in to take a look. I've had the unit in Telnet mode waiting for them to connect... 😞

Anyway, Is there anything I can do to fix the corrupt root? We have important data we need to get off and I'd like to get it done if there are options. From my understanding, (Tech Support)Telnet mode is only usable to Netgear Tech support due to the password. I'm hoping there is a work around I can try.

Best,
ecsaschar
Message 1 of 7
de_niro
Guide

Re: ReadyNAS 1100 showing corrupt root

Can you PM me the case number?
Message 2 of 7
ecsaschar
Aspirant

I have a thought for getting around the corrupt root.

My thought is to remove all the hard drives and mark their order 1-4. Then reset the unit to Factory Default. After its running I will shut it down, reinsert the disks, and turn it back on. Will the unit still be able to read the original data or will it wipe the disks clean?

Does this make sense?

Best,
ecsaschar
Message 3 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

Factory Default/OS reinstall/etc won't do anything without disks inserted. The OS is on the disks themselves.
Message 4 of 7
ecsaschar
Aspirant

Okay that makes sense.

What is the best way to get a clean OS Reinstall? I did the Reinstall OS option by holding the reset for 5 seconds and also the Boot from USB option with firmware on it. The ReadyNAS still showed corrupt root.

Best,
ecsaschar
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

The best way is to do the reset (which is what you tried I guess). The USB option is riskier.

Did you pm de niro the case number?
Message 6 of 7
ecsaschar
Aspirant

StephenB,

Thanks for the input.

Yeah I pm'd the case number to de niro.

Best,
Aaron
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors