× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Only Enters Normal Mode Cant Get Into OS Install mode

chipsmithson
Aspirant

ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Only Enters Normal Mode Cant Get Into OS Install mode

I cannot get device to do an OS install.

Steps to reset:

1 Push reset button

2. Power on

3. Hit backup button, but only Normal mode is available

4. I let go of reset, only normal boot will continue.

VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Only Enters Normal Mode Cant Get Into OS Install mode

What firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

I can't even get that far as after the device boots up all the interface says is that Device is Offline! In this state, can I even determine the version of the firmware?

Message 3 of 25
StephenB
Guru

What I really want to know is whether your NAS runs 4.1.x firmware or 5.x.x firmware.

There's a sticker on the back that tells you the firmware that was shipped with the unit.  Can you post that?

Message 4 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

What I really want to know is whether your NAS runs 4.1.x firmware or 5.x.x firmware.

There's a sticker on the back that tells you the firmware that was shipped with the unit.  Can you post that?

These were the only two stickers on the back and neither of them appear to have what you were looking for?
Netgear.jpgNetgear2.jpg

Message 5 of 25
StephenB
Guru

That helps - the part number is definitely a v2 platform (arm processor), so you are running OS 5.x firmware.

I'm not sure if you are exactly following the procedure in the hardware manual.  Maybe review the info below and see if it helps.

https://www.readynas.com/download/documentation/HM/ReadyNAS_Duov2_NV+v2_HW_en_19-Sept-11.pdf @ (pages 24-25) wrote:

To access the boot menu:

1. Power off your unit. 
2. Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button. 
3. Press the Power button to power on the unit. 
4. Continue to press the Reset button until the status display screen shows a boot menu message. (Then release the reset button)
5. Press the Backup button to scroll through boot mode options. The status display screen shows the current boot mode option. 
6. When the status display screen shows the boot mode you need, press and release Reset button to confirm your boot menu selection.

The system boots in the selected boot mode.

Message 6 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

Okay,

Yes you are correct. I wasn't quite following the steps. When I did I was able to kick off the OS install. Now my problem is even after completing that process. Hitting the admin page, I still am confronted witht the following: 😞Offline.JPG

Message 7 of 25
StephenB
Guru

Are you able to access the shares?

Message 8 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

okay, i pulled the plug and did a factory reset. it appears to have completed and downloaded the newest firmware. It appears that the default username and passowrd are different now?

Message 9 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The device is offline indicates that the management service is offline. Can't troubleshoot that now that you've done a factory reset.

A factory reset resets the admin password back to the default. It's still the same as when you got the unit.

The admin username is 'admin' (no quotes - note the admin username can't be changed) and the default password is 'password' (no quotes - you definitely should change the the password).

Message 10 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

Well,

After the factory reset and a disk check, it appears to be up and running but i cant seem to log in to it.

Ive tried:

admin passowrd

admin netgear1

admin infant1

admin admin

All return me to the login prompt. Does anyone have any thoughts what the login reds may be then?

Message 11 of 25
StephenB
Guru

The v2 default credentials are admin and password.  Admin can't be changed.

Message 12 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

I think it is time to scrap this piece. I read that in the doc and have tried that combination plenty of times. I thought myabe the newest firmware changed it. Im done. Time to get a real NAS

Message 13 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well when you wrote the password in the thread you misspelt it. So that’s why StephenB pointed it out again.

Message 14 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

Sorry,

Very frustrating. Of course I tried "password", that was just a typo on the different variations of login and password combinations that I have tried. Any suggestions on how to procedd with this door stop or is it just a loss?

Message 15 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the next thing would be to do an OS Re-install or another factory reset and see if that makes a difference. If that still doesn't resolve it then it'd be time to move onto some more advanced troubleshooting.

Message 16 of 25
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Just as a note: OS reinstall does not fix everything that may be broken on the OS. OS reinstall reapplies the firmware from the chassis onto the operating system RAID on your disks... it does not really attempt to repair broken configuration files or databases that may have an issue. It does reset the admin password back to default (password or netgear1, depending on platform) and attempt to reset your network adapters back to a default state (DHCP and enabled). 

In your case, if your issue was the UI showing as offline like it was, that issue is probably not going to be easily resolved by performing an OS reinstall. Intervention on a tech support level is typically required, whether it is you performing the fix operation or a support expert.  There's likely an issue reading a config file somewhere (ext is prone to file system corruption relatively easily), or the database which caches information to show you in the UI is down. 

Usually the best course of action is to boot the unit normally and then see if you can access your data using a network protocol (even though the web interface is not working). If you can, backup all data you can... then factory default. Then check the status of the disks to make sure they are okay... because it will create new healthy file systems and you want to restore data to healthy disks and continue on.  If you cannot access your data, you might have bad disks in the system at which point you may not have data to recover and would need to buy new disks and perform a factory default.  

Message 17 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

I did finally run a disk check and it came back that disk 4 was bad. Does it need all 4 disks to boot? 

Message 18 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@chipsmithson wrote:

Does it need all 4 disks to boot? 

If you are running a 4 disk array using XRAID (or RAID-5) you should be able to boot up with three healthy disks.

Message 19 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

Do I have to change that somehow before boot up?

Message 20 of 25
StephenB
Guru

You could try powering down the NAS, removing the failed disk, and then power up.  But I don't think that will resolve the boot menu issue, which is unexplained.  

Often you can access the data via windows file explorer (or OSX finder) even if the dashboard comes up off-line.  I asked you about that a few posts back, but am not seeing a reply.  If you can access it, then the easiest path forward is to offload the files you need, and then do a factory reset.

Message 21 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

Sorry if I missed a response. I have tried a factory reset, but it never completes and i get a CLR error. I have not had a successful boot in some time. I pulled the drives out and was able and attached to a SATA reader and all drives looked fine.

Message 22 of 25
StephenB
Guru

What size disks are  you using?

Try installing only one disk, and doing the factory reset again.  That should set up more easily, since there is no syncing of the RAID array needed.

Message 23 of 25
chipsmithson
Aspirant

The drives that came with it when I got it were 1 Tb drives.

So put 1 drive in slot 1 and then try a factory reset?

Message 24 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@chipsmithson wrote:

So put 1 drive in slot 1 and then try a factory reset?

Yes.  There's no RAID creation needed, so the system should be ready for use pretty quickly.

Then you can add the other working drives (waiting for resync after each is added).  Hopefully the original issue of the reset failing was related to the bad drive.  But even if it isn't, it should be easier to isolate this way.

@chipsmithson wrote:

The drives that came with it when I got it were 1 Tb drives.

I asked because there are some expansion limits with XRAID on your NAS

• a volume can't expand over 16 TiB total size.
  • a volume can't expand more than 8 TiB from it's initial size.

You aren't anywhere close to either limit, since with 4x1TB your volume size would be only 3 TB.

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements