× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS Rsync to FreeNAS

Grunbay111
Aspirant

ReadyNAS Rsync to FreeNAS

I have a ReadyNAS running RAIDiator 4.2.27 (the latest version) that is attached to my home network. I have installed the latest firmware updates to the NAS. My home network has no directory service enabled; all users are local.

I have built a FreeNAS box to run as a backup for the data on the ReadyNAS. I plan to use Rsync as the backup software. My FreeNAS box has 8GB of RAM. I am running FreeNAS version “9.3-STABLE-201502060108.”

My problem is that I cannot get the two boxes to communicate. I have read the user guides for both systems. Unfortunately, not being a sophisticated networking type, I am repeatedly stumped by the differences in nomenclature between the ReadyNAS guides and the FreeNAS guides. They have subtle, but crucial differences in the way that they describe the functions of these two systems and how they work with Rsync. One of my major confusions is that the two guides refer to Rsync “server” and “client” in opposite ways, so, as a novice user, It’s very confusing. The two guides also seem to use the term “module” in different ways.

I am ambivalent as to whether the Source (ReadyNAS) pushes data to the Destination (FreeNAS), or the Destination pulls data from the Source. I would like to have the Destination wake up weekly and backup my Source, so I was thinking of Push configuration with wake-up-on-LAN enabled on FreeNAS – if that’s available.

Let me set the stage in terms of what I have done so far:

ReadyNAS (Source)

1. IP addr: 192.168.1.144
  2. I have a test share, “Backup2” set up, with some data in it,
  3. I have checked the Rsync box under Services>Standard File Protocols,
  4. I have checked the rsync icon under Shares>Share Listing for Backup2,
  5. Under rsync options for Backup2, I have set the default access to Read-only,
  6. Also under Rsync options, I have entered the IP address of the FreeNAS under “Hosts allowed access – no password or SSH options are activated

FreeNAS (Destination)

1. IP addr: 192.168.1.145
  2. I have a Volume named MirrorPool
  3. I have a UNIX share named ReadyNASBackup
  4. For services, I have CIFS, NFS, Rsync, and S.M.A.R.T.
  5. I have an Rsync Module (I really don’t understand these) named Backup2TestModule with
    1. Path: /mnt/MirrorPool/ReadyNASBackup
    2. Access mode: Read & Write
    3. User: Grunbay
    4. Group: Grunbay
    5. Hosts allow: 192.168.1.144

Rather than tell you the thousands (OK, that’s hyperbole) of combinations that I have tried of path names, user names, etc and their related error messages, I thought some kind, and knowledgeable soul out there may be able to help set me in the right direction. Let me know if you need additional information. I plan to post this in both the ReadyNAS and FreeNAS forums as I don’t even know which side of the equation is out of balance!

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grunbay111,

Not sure if you have check this article already. If the RSYNC backup still won't work, I suggest you to open a ticket with NETGEAR support.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community 

Message 2 of 13
Grunbay111
Aspirant

Thanks BrianL. I had not seen that article, but had read a very similar article in netgear support. Unfortunately, both articles discus using rsync between two ReadyNAS boxes, not ReadyNAS and FreeNAS. I have followed all of the relevant suggestions on my ReadyNAS. 

Message 3 of 13
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grunbay111,

If that is the case, have a quick check with our support team and see if what other things they can suggest.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community

Message 4 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Grunbay111 on which NAS will you be running the backup job?

The Rsync service/module would need to be configured on the other NAS.

So setting up read-only Rsync access to the share on the ReadyNAS would be so that you could run a backup job on the FreeNAS device using the ReadyNAS as the Source and a share on the FreeNAS device as the destination.

Enabling the Rsync module for the share on the FreeNAS device would be so that you could run a backup job on the ReadyNAS to backup the data to the FreeNAS device.

So you could try creating a backup job on the ReadyNAS with the source share as the source and the destination as a Remote Rsync Server with the host as 192.168.1.145 and the path "ReadyNASBackup" (no quotes). You can enter the Rsync credentials if needed.

Message 5 of 13
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

I didn't have an old RAIDiator NAS handy to test this out with, so I used the RAIDiator VM with v4.2.23.  Should be about the same.  FreeNAS is at 9.3 STABLE.

Here's how I configured:

On the FreeNAS side:

• Created a ZFS volume called "tank"
  • Created a CIFS share called "test" to point to "/mnt/tank/test"
    This also created the directory for me.
  • Permissions on "/mnt/tank/test" defaulted to being owned by root:wheel.
    I popped open a shell via the UI and did a "chown nobody:nogroup /mnt/tank/test".
  • Configured an rsync "module" called test pointing to /mnt/tank/test
    An rsync "module" is basically a share.
    User and group are set to nobody:nogroup, just like the permissions above.
  • Ensure that "rsync" is enabled under "Services"

On the ReadyNAS side:

• Create backup job:
  • Source: Share (backup)
  • Destination: (Remote: Rsync Server)
    Host: IP address of FreeNAS
    Path: test (same as the rsync module)

Hit "Go" on the ReadyNAS side to start the backup job and I had a successful run.

Just going on the information you provided I'd say you're probably running into a permissions related issue.

User/group "Grunbay", as you set in your initial post, needs to have permission to this folder.

Without changing the ownership on the "test" folder I created in FreeNAS I got the following message back from the ReadyNAS backup log:

Reason for failure:
Error encountered copying data from source path /backup/ ==> 10.200.101.159::test due to permission denial on one or more files.

Message 6 of 13
Grunbay111
Aspirant

Very helpful post, I was able to get the job to run, but it fails. I will play with it a bit and get back to you.

Thanks a million!

Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Which version of Rsync is running on FreeNAS?

When the job fails do you get an error message or a log explaining why?

Message 8 of 13
Grunbay111
Aspirant

I am running the Rsync version that came with my Stable FreeNAS download. I don't know what version that is. How do I confirm?

Message 9 of 13
Grunbay111
Aspirant

A log report from the faied backup is shown below:

NCREMENTAL Backup started. Tue Jul 28 00:18:16 EDT 2015

Job: 001
Protocol: rsync
Source: [Backup2]/
Destination: 192.168.1.145::Backup2TestModule

sending incremental file list
./
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
.AppleDB/
.AppleDB/__db.001
.AppleDB/__db.002
.AppleDB/__db.003
.AppleDB/__db.004
.AppleDB/__db.005
.AppleDB/__db.006
.AppleDB/cnid2.db
.AppleDB/db_errlog
.AppleDB/lock
.AppleDB/log.0000000001
.AppleDesktop/.volinfo
KTM/
KTM/.AppleDouble/
Network Trash Folder/.AppleDouble/.Parent
Temporary Items/.AppleDouble/.Parent
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.001.vSua0b" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.002.mrDw5b" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.003.HfLASF" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.004.vTYkIy" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.005.DHKgzU" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.006.8BTsQ7" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.cnid2.db.9ST8HZ" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.db_errlog.26Raex" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.lock.FhxfMG" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.log.0000000001.en7Qn4" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)

sent 184475 bytes received 70299 bytes 169849.33 bytes/sec
total size is 37721190 speedup is 148.06
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.9]

Message 10 of 13
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

ReadyNAS is trying to preserve permissions on files when transferring them over to FreeNAS, but is having a problem changing group ownership for some files (mostly OS X resource forks it looks like).  Besides that looks like the files transferred over OK!  You can ignore these errors, but annoyingly they'll still cause a backup job to show a "failed" status.

What do the permissions on the destination FreeNAS folder look like?  You can open a shell in the FreeNAS UI and do an "ls -al /mnt/MirrorPool/ReadyNASBackup".  You're still using Grunbay/Grunbay for User/Group in the rsync module settings?

Message 11 of 13
Grunbay111
Aspirant

Permissions on the FreeNAS look like this:

drwxrwsrwt   4 nobody  nogroup        4 Mar 12 12:23 .TemporaryItems            
-rwxr-xr-x   1 nobody  nogroup     4096 Jul 28  2014 ._.DS_Store                
-rwxr-xr-x   1 nobody  nogroup     4096 Mar 14 12:09 ._.apdisk                  
-rwxr-xr-x   1 nobody  nogroup     4096 Jul 28  2014 ._Independent Motorcycle De
signers Achieve Over 150 M.P.G. at Ohio Challenge - NYTimes.com.pdf             
-rwxr-xr-x   1 nobody  nogroup      294 Mar 14 12:09 .apdisk                    
drwxr-sr-x   3 nobody  nogroup       10 Mar 18 00:30 Annisquam Backup           
drwxr-sr-x   3 nobody  nogroup        7 Mar 18 00:36 Ben Gurley                 
drwxr-xr-x   3 nobody  nogroup        5 May 22  2014 Bowen Trust Docs           
drwxr-xr-x  23 nobody  nogroup       24 May 22  2014 Calibre Books              
-rwxr-xr-x   1 nobody  nogroup  1928131 Jul 27  2011 Independent Motorcycle Desi
gners Achieve Over 150 M.P.G. at Ohio Challenge - NYTimes.com.pdf               
drwxr-sr-x   4 nobody  nogroup        4 Mar 26 12:07 JTG Tax Backup             
drwxr-sr-x   3 nobody  nogroup        5 Mar 29 11:39 Janet                      
drwxrwsrwx   3 nobody  nogroup        3 Jul 28 11:31 KTM                        
drwxr-sr-x   3 nobody  nogroup       19 Feb 15 17:48 Laverda                    
drwxrwxrwx   3 nobody  nogroup        3 Feb 15 17:46 Network Trash Folder       
drwxr-xr-x   3 nobody  nogroup       21 May 22  2014 Real Books                 
drwxr-sr-x   4 nobody  nogroup        5 Mar 28 14:30 Sangillo                   
drwxr-sr-x   3 nobody  nogroup        7 Mar 21 11:39 Stu & Cait                 
drwxr-sr-x   3 nobody  nogroup        6 Mar 29 11:41 Stu Brown                  
drwxrwxrwx   3 nobody  nogroup        3 Feb 15 17:46 Temporary Items            
drwxrwxrwt  21 nobody  nogroup       33 Jul 25 08:40 User Manuals               
[root@freenas ~]#                                                 

You are right, the files are making their way into the FreeNAS now!

Here are the permissions for some of these files on the ReadyNAS:

GrunbayNAS1:~# ls -al /c/Backup2

total 44

drwxrwxrwx  7 nobody nogroup 4096 2015-07-28 13:41 .

drwxrwxrwx 11 root   root    4096 2014-12-22 17:35 ..

drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root    4096 2015-07-28 23:50 .AppleDB

drwxrwxrwx  2 root   admin   4096 2015-07-27 22:28 .AppleDesktop

drwxrwxrwx  2 admin  admin   4096 2015-07-28 11:48 .AppleDouble

-rw-r--r--  1 admin  admin   8196 2015-07-28 11:48 .DS_Store

drwxrwsrwx  3 admin  admin   4096 2015-07-28 11:31 KTM

drwxrwxrwx  3 root   admin   4096 2015-02-15 17:46 Temporary Items

GrunbayNAS1:~#

Any comments/suggestions?

Message 12 of 13
siigna
NETGEAR Expert

Based on the errors in the previous log you posted: 

rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.001.vSua0b" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.002.mrDw5b" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.003.HfLASF" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.004.vTYkIy" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.005.DHKgzU" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.006.8BTsQ7" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.cnid2.db.9ST8HZ" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.db_errlog.26Raex" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.lock.FhxfMG" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.log.0000000001.en7Qn4" (in Backup2TestModule) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1070) [sender=3.0.9]

And the permissions on the ReadyNAS side: 

GrunbayNAS1:~# ls -al /c/Backup2
total 44
drwxrwxrwx  7 nobody nogroup 4096 2015-07-28 13:41 .
drwxrwxrwx 11 root   root    4096 2014-12-22 17:35 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root    4096 2015-07-28 23:50 .AppleDB
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   admin   4096 2015-07-27 22:28 .AppleDesktop
drwxrwxrwx  2 admin  admin   4096 2015-07-28 11:48 .AppleDouble
-rw-r--r--  1 admin  admin   8196 2015-07-28 11:48 .DS_Store
drwxrwsrwx  3 admin  admin   4096 2015-07-28 11:31 KTM
drwxrwxrwx  3 root   admin   4096 2015-02-15 17:46 Temporary Items

I'd say it's the '.AppleDB' folder being owned by 'root:root' that's causing the error.  That's normal, transferring files into the share via AFP will do that.  Here's my ReadyNAS doing the same: 

rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.001.MbkiIs" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.002.Pzagrb" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.003.9OTBq0" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.004.G4S6Fx" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.005.j6inmj" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.__db.006.AiUbWI" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.cnid2.db.7ZMJ7j" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.db_errlog.in0it4" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.lock.ETdHEl" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)
rsync: chgrp "/.AppleDB/.log.0000000001.Kw92Zf" (in test) failed: Operation not permitted (1)

If you turn on "Enable FAT32 compatibility mode." in the ReadyNAS backup job options that should clear the errors up.  It will prevent rsync from trying to transfer permissions with the "--no-owner", "--no-group", "--no-acls" and "--no-perms" options.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements