× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas Pro Business upgrading hardware and to OS6

sfg
Aspirant
Aspirant

ReadyNas Pro Business upgrading hardware and to OS6

Hi,

I have been using this in my home since this model came out all those years ago and am looking to bring it more up to speed.

I am running bios version 07/26/2010 FLAME6-MB V2.0

The CPU is CPU0: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2160  @ 1.80GHz stepping 0d

XRAID-2

I am looking to upgrade some hardware as well as upgrading to OS6

I have seen people using 

Are there any other suggestions?

Also my NAS is sitting at about 13TB of stuff accumulated throughout the years and before upgrading the I know I have to back it up.  Unfortunately I have no other NAS or place to store the data.  Does anyone have any suggestions for a cloud service to put the data on temporarily while I do the upgrade thats not going to cost me an arm and a leg?  I just want to do a one time transfer each direction.  At least I have gb internet.

The OS6 process posted seems self explanatory  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/ReadyNAS-OS-6-1-9-Run-on-existing-x86-4-2-notsupp...
but wiht using R4toR6_latest.bin

Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks for the help.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas Pro Business upgrading hardware and to OS6

@sfg wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cloud service to put the data on temporarily while I do the upgrade thats not going to cost me an arm and a leg?  I just want to do a one time transfer each direction.  At least I have gb internet.

The puzzle here is that inexpensive cloud services will probably be much too slow (you won't get anywhere close to your gigabit ISP speed).  They are better suited to disaster recovery than your use.  I also have gigabit service, and Crashplan (to give one example) generally runs 3-4 megabits. 

Getting a couple of USB drives is likely a better bet (and will give you a long term backup solution).  RAID isn't enough to keep your data safe.

Message 2 of 13
sfg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah at 3mbs that would take forever.  Any suggestions on a cheap local option?

Message 3 of 13
bedlam1
Prodigy

Just a long shot but have you tried re-installing Utorrent, then maybe a reboot, then uninstall Utorrent?

Message 4 of 13
bedlam1
Prodigy

Apologies, my post above was a response to another topic 

Message 5 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

The 6-bay Pro models are not nearly as particular about the memory they will work with as some would have you believe.  I have bought several brands of memory (Corsair, AData, GSkill) PC2-800, usually going for that which has low CAS latency. You do have to stay away from the 2Rx4 (aka "High Density, aka "For AMD") memory, which means 2 x 4GB sticks is costly, so you'll probably want to stick with 2 x 2GB..

You have the latest BIOS, so the E7500 is a good CPU choice.

Message 6 of 13
sfg
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Sandshark wrote:

You have the latest BIOS, so the E7500 is a good CPU choice.

Are there any other ones I could go faster/quadcore while using the standard heatsink/arctic5, etc...

My Pro Business is one of the models where the Serial No. is the MAC address 

Message 7 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So you'd have a very old board rev so your motherboard would be compatible with a smaller range of CPUs than some newer units.

Message 8 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

It has always been my understanding that the older version motherboard would not accept  FLAME6-MB V2.0, so having that revision BIOS says the board is the latest.  @mdgm-ntgr, you have other info?

Unless you do a lot of extensive parallel processing (like multiple transcodings), the quad core is not going to help you much, and the higher TDP can cause issues.

Message 9 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I’m not sure on that. It is quite a long time ago now and the first gen Pro was discontinued a long time before I joined NETGEAR.

I understand there’s a sticker on the motherboard showing the board rev. There’s a long thread on CPU upgrades for the Pro with lots of info.

Message 10 of 13
sfg
Aspirant
Aspirant

CPU0: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7600  @ 3.06GHz stepping 0a

4096 MB [6-6-6-18 DDR2]

Fan SYS1308 RPMOK
Fan CPU2008 RPM OK
Temp SYS58 C / 136 F [Normal 0-65 C / 32-149 F] OK
Temp CPU

23 C / 73 F [Normal 0-60 C / 32-140 F]