× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas pro 6 dead

WaveX
Aspirant

Readynas pro 6 dead

Hi everybody.

8 months ago i bought a Readynas 6 pro (used) and installed 6 3TB disks in it (2 spares). Everything worked perfect until 2 days ago. I knew the power was working but couldn't find it on the network.

Upon examining, i saw that there was always READYNASS on the display. The lights on the ethernet connections didn't blink and RAIDar cannot find anything. I used different (working) cables and ports to be sure it wasn't a network thing. It seems i cannot boot!

1) If i try the bootmenu (which i haven't tried yet) is it best practise to keep the currents disk in ? Because i really want to try to access them. And then go on and try to reinstall the OS from flash. Or do i do that with a empty disk and if that works switch them back in ?

2) if i find the same model (pro 6) can i put the disks in and will they always work ?

Thanks for reading

WaveX

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
WaveX
Aspirant

Re: Readynas pro 6 dead

I found a secondhand readynas Ultra 6 model. When i came home i removed all the drives - put my drives in (in the right order). I booted the machine and everything worked like a charm.

🙂

WaveX

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The OS in stored on the flash, so there is no point in trying to do an OS reinstall to a scratch disk.

It would be helpful to power down, and remove the disks (labeling them by slot), and then power up.  Then see if RAIDar finds the NAS with a "no disks" status.

You can also try testing the disks in a windows PC with vendor tools (seatools for seagate, lifeguard for western digital).

Message 2 of 7
WaveX
Aspirant

I just removed all the disk : 

readyNAS on the display - no ethernet activity.

RAIDar doesn't find a thing...

Can i do a factory reset and then put the disks in or is my best option another device ? Because i found a 

ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - an i just put my disks in and will they be available ?

thanks,

wavex

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@WaveX wrote:

Can i do a factory reset and then put the disks in

No you can't.  The factory reset installs the OS onto the hard drives, so it can't be done w/o the disks in place.  And of course your unit won't even boot.

@WaveX wrote:

i found a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 - an i just put my disks in and will they be available ?

You can (assuming the filesystems on the drives weren't damaged when the Pro failed).  It's best to update the ultra so that it is running the same firmware as the pro-6 was before you migrate your disks.  You'll need a temporary scratch disk installed when you do that.  Then power down the replacement, and put all the disks from the pro into their corresponding slots in the ultra 6.  After that, just power up.

It is also possible to temporarily mount the disks in a new x86 ReadyNAS (RN300 series or better):  https://kb.netgear.com/29957/ReadyNAS-Migrating-disks-from-RAIDiator-4-2-to-ReadyNAS-OS-6-x86

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The unit will say "ReadyNAS" if there is just 5V power.  So a lot could be wrong.  But the power supply is the usual suspect.  The 12V CPU power is a likely candidate with your symptoms.  Of course, it could be something more substantial.  Those units are getting old.

Since your current unit and the replacement are used, make sure thay are running the same firmware.  Both those units shipped with OS4.2.x but can be upgraded to 6.x.  Putting a 6.x drive set into a 4.2.x machine can be catastrophic, as the unit will re-format them.  Putting an OS4.2.x drive set into an OS6.x unit will warn you the drives are used so they are formatted only if y9ou tell it to do so, but there is no way you can read the data on them.  If  the Pro was on OS6.x, then you could use an newer NAS than an Ultra, too.

Message 5 of 7
WaveX
Aspirant

I found a secondhand readynas Ultra 6 model. When i came home i removed all the drives - put my drives in (in the right order). I booted the machine and everything worked like a charm.

🙂

WaveX

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Now that you are up and runing, you can investigate if it's just the power supply at fault.  If you have an ATX supply around, or can "borrow" one from a PC, it can be connected externally to see if that fixes it.  If it does, it could be worthwhile to purchase a replacement supply.  They aren't very expensive

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements