× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Set Up USB Device Problem

DAVID533
Aspirant

Set Up USB Device Problem

I connected a USB Flash Drive to the NV+ to test out the USB connection. I did not setup any password to access the USB flash drive. I can see the USB drive in my network, but when I try to open it with Windows Explorer, it ask for my Windows admin password. I use Windows 7 and did not set up any admin password. Is there some peramerters in the NV+ I should setup? The same thing happen when I create a shared folder in the root directory of the NV+.
Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Set Up USB Device Problem

It's asking for credentials to access the share.  It's assuming that you want to use your current windows login (which is apparently admin).

Are you using "user" security mode?  If not, you should switch to that.

Assuming you are set up for user security mode, then 

You could first click on the CIFS icon next to the share, and check that "allow guest access" is enabled.

However, guest access (also called anonymous access) is something that Microsoft has been tightening up on. 

A more robust approach is to enter credentials for NAS-5D-83-DB in the Windows Credential Manager.  You can create a user on the NAS (and use that username/password), or you could just use the admin credentials.  Once you do that, the PC will use automatically use that username/password whenever you access the NAS.

There's a brief guide on how to get into the credentials manager here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026814/windows-accessing-credential-manager  You want to enter a "windows" credential for this.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware is the NAS running?

@DAVID533 wrote:
The same thing happen when I create a shared folder in the root directory of the NV+.

I think you have multiple issues, so let's take this one first.

Can you explain in more detail the steps you are using to access the root directory of the NAS, and how you are creating a shared folder?  

Creating a new share needs to be done through the NAS web ui.  You'd log in with https://nas-ip-address/admin or https://nas-hostname/admin (using the actual ip adress or hostname).  You'll be prompted for a username/password - but that is for the NAS admin account, not Windows. 

If you never set the NAS admin password, it should be netgear1. You definitely should change it to something else.

Message 2 of 7
DAVID533
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

I am using RAIDiator 4.1.16. This is the latest firmware available for my NV+.

I created the share folder by going to front view -> Shares -> Add Shares. Enter the name "MyFiles" for the share folder, leave everything blank and press Apply. I used have a Readynas 600 didn't have this kind of problem. I also changed the admin password.

Any other suggestion?

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000|ReadyNAS NV+ Chassis only
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@DAVID533 wrote:

I am using RAIDiator 4.1.16. This is the latest firmware available for my NV+.

Correct.

@DAVID533 wrote:

I created the share folder by going to front view -> Shares -> Add Shares. Enter the name "MyFiles" for the share folder, leave everything blank and press Apply.

Can you post a screenshot of the error?

Message 4 of 7
DAVID533
Aspirant

Hi StephenB,

Attached is the screen shot from Windows Expolor and Share Listing. As you can see I have MyFile and Media show up in my network, when I click on MyFile, it ask me for password. When I click on Media, it did not ask for password. I set up MyFile just like Media in Share Listing. I just don't know why it keep askingMyNetwork.jpgShare Listing.jpg me password for MyFile.

Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

It's asking for credentials to access the share.  It's assuming that you want to use your current windows login (which is apparently admin).

Are you using "user" security mode?  If not, you should switch to that.

Assuming you are set up for user security mode, then 

You could first click on the CIFS icon next to the share, and check that "allow guest access" is enabled.

However, guest access (also called anonymous access) is something that Microsoft has been tightening up on. 

A more robust approach is to enter credentials for NAS-5D-83-DB in the Windows Credential Manager.  You can create a user on the NAS (and use that username/password), or you could just use the admin credentials.  Once you do that, the PC will use automatically use that username/password whenever you access the NAS.

There's a brief guide on how to get into the credentials manager here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026814/windows-accessing-credential-manager  You want to enter a "windows" credential for this.

Message 6 of 7
DAVID533
Aspirant

Thank you very much, StephenB. I added a user account in NAS, now everything is working perfectly!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements