× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

TRYING TO RESET RN104 GET "NETGEAR STORAGE WELCOME" FOR 1 SEC THEN "BOOT FROM USB"

K0IBM
Follower

TRYING TO RESET RN104 GET "NETGEAR STORAGE WELCOME" FOR 1 SEC THEN "BOOT FROM USB"

Good Afternoon.  I have a Readynas RN104 that will not boot.  It will also not power off by holding the power bouton. The display shows "Boot from USB Failed!"

I followed the instructions to create a Recovery USB and added the required files. I disconnected the power, inserted the recovery USB drive in the front panel, held the backup button and applied power. The system went thru recovery and powered off.  I did this several times and it still comes back to "Boot from USB Failed" without the USB installed.  Finalily I compleated the recovery process,let the 104 power off and removed the flash drive.  I then pressed and held the reset button and powered on the RN104.  At this point I get a message "Netgear Storage Welcome" for about 1 sec then it switches to Boot from USB then Boot from USB Failed!  I can't get the unit to display the boot Menu. 

When I power on the RN104 with or without drives the Backup and Power buttons are both flashing.

Any help you can provide would be great. 

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 2
StephenB
Guru

Re: TRYING TO RESET RN104 GET "NETGEAR STORAGE WELCOME" FOR 1 SEC THEN "BOOT FROM USB

You might want to try a different USB recovery drive.

It's possible that the flash has failed - which would be unrepairable.  Hopefully it's not that.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements