× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Tips: minidlna killing the system performance (fixed)

DoctorNacho
Follower

Tips: minidlna killing the system performance (fixed)

I use Readynas as my Apple Time Machine backup server. 

I have noticed that as or recently the backup has just been going slow like molasses.

Initially I attributed it to Wi-Fi speed, my Mac, etc, but it got me curious to test my hypothesis. I logged in to the readynas via ssh (follow the instructions how to enable it on the netgear site), ran  "top" and noticed that minidlna daemon is at the very top of the list hogging the entire CPU (0 idle CPU). I decided to disable the readydLNA for now and that immediately resulted in almost an order of magnitude better backup throughput, not to mention that the CPU utilization is back to normal range (1.6% user and 3.0%system) 

I wonder if anybody else had the same issue and was able to resolve it a different way?

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: Tips: minidlna killing the system performance (fixed)

Did you look in the DLNA logs?

You could try re-enabling the service, but disabling it for all the shares.  Then enable one share at a time, and see when the problem recurs.

Message 2 of 11
givememynamebak
Luminary

I'm having the same problem causing overheating.    Thing is taking 99.8% of CPU and causing my nas to overheat. 

I'm using 6.7.0-T180 (Beta 3) on Pro 6.

3716 root      35  15  151484 106036   6072 R  99.8  1.3 113:59.35 minidlnad

Dropbox in Cloud doesn't work, had to use the plugin from ReadyNASXtras.

Discovery page in ReadyCloud doesn't show device once logged in to manage my NAS (have to search by serial number for some reason)

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 3 of 11
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Any clues in e.g. upnp-av.log or systemd-journal.log as to why it's using so much CPU?

Message 4 of 11
givememynamebak
Luminary

I'll have to inspect the logs when I get a moment.  I shut off UPNP for now but I suspect it has to do with large libraries.

I also have CPU spikes of 75-85C when using Sabnzb and it's repairing & extracting.  Never had this with OS4... sigh.

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@givememynamebak wrote:

I also have CPU spikes of 75-85C when using Sabnzb and it's repairing & extracting.  Never had this with OS4... sigh.

What OS4 system did you have?

Message 6 of 11
givememynamebak
Luminary

Pro6 on the latest OS4 version
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@givememynamebak wrote:
Pro6 on the latest OS4 version

That of course has much faster CPU than the RN102.

You might want to try changing the fan control to balanced or cool, and see if that helps manage the temperature spikes.  That's on the performance tab of the web ui.

Message 8 of 11
givememynamebak
Luminary

This is how it behaves on cool already. And I upgraded the CPU to I think 7600 like 3 years ago. Lots of spiking CPU and overheating on os6 beta 3.
Message 9 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@givememynamebak wrote:
This is how it behaves on cool already. And I upgraded the CPU to I think 7600 like 3 years ago. Lots of spiking CPU and overheating on os6 beta 3.

Sorry - have two different problems on the same thread confused me.  I looked at the first post, and saw the RN102, and overlooked your earlier post saying you were running OS6 on your pro.

Message 10 of 11
givememynamebak
Luminary

Just an update... my overheating issues were solved by ripping the system and power supply apart and cleaning everything, re-apply cpu thermal paste etc. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements