× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to delete, move or rename files

Jchrisjordan
Aspirant

Unable to delete, move or rename files

I have mapped the NAS to a drive N; on my Windows 10 machine. When I try to delete a folder from Windows Explorer, I get the follwing message;

"You need permission from Unix User\Root to make changes to this folder."

How do I delete the folder, please/

Chris

Model: ReadyNAS RND4210v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Unable to delete, move or rename files

@Jchrisjordan wrote:

No, a folder within my Media share. I can delete anything else in that folder without problems.

The folder in question was created when I attempted to use a USB connection from the NAS to a hard drive dock, hoping it would be faster than an ethernet connection.

Got it.

Try resetting the permissions for the share.  See page 35 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20(DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiato...

You can also try deleting folders in the share from the web ui (page 36).

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I am thinking that you might be trying to delete a share, and not a normal folder.  Shares need to be deleted from the NAS Web UI.

What firmware is your NAS running?

Message 2 of 7
Jchrisjordan
Aspirant

%.3.13

Message 3 of 7
Jchrisjordan
Aspirant

Make that 5.3.13Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Ok.  Are you trying to delete a share (look at the share listing in the web dashboard if you aren't certain)?

Message 5 of 7
Jchrisjordan
Aspirant

No, a folder within my Media share. I can delete anything else in that folder without problems.

The folder in question was created when I attempted to use a USB connection from the NAS to a hard drive dock, hoping it would be faster than an ethernet connection. It wasn't, so I terminated the backup. But the files backed up to the NAS before I terminated the backup are the ones I cannot delete.

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Jchrisjordan wrote:

The folder in question was created when I attempted to use a USB connection from the NAS to a hard drive dock, hoping it would be faster than an ethernet connection.

Got it.

Try resetting the permissions for the share.  See page 35 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS%20ARM-PLATFORM%20(DUO%20V2,%20NV+%20V2)/RAIDiato...

You can also try deleting folders in the share from the web ui (page 36).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements