× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using Amazon Echo To Access ReadyNAS DLNA

mwilliams6275
Aspirant

Using Amazon Echo To Access ReadyNAS DLNA

Currently I access the ReadyNAS DLNA server via my blu-ray player, which is attached to my TV (obviously) and my home stereo system. I'm looking at the Amazon Echo/tap devices as an alternative, primarily because I can control them via a smartphone/tablet app which give me the ability to not have to be in the same room as the blu-ray player using it's remote control device to select which media to play. I can't seem to find anything that states how, if at all possible, I can access the ReadyNAS DLNA service from the Echo/Tap. The product specs for the Echo/tap play up all the, for lack of a better word, non-local services the device can use to play media. I want to be able to access the media locally.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Using Amazon Echo To Access ReadyNAD DLNA

@JennC wrote:

If it is a DLNA compliant product then it will work with the ReadyNAS.

I think the challenge here is that it not DLNA compliant.  Though I don't own one, so I can only go by what I read.

There is an Alexa app (houseband) that can control the JRiver Media Center software.  The media center can then control Sonos speakers -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPsOKhC7V4g

But that doesn't involve the NAS directly, and AFAIK it isn't a general DLNA solution.  There isn't any hint that houseband can work with plex for instance.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello mwilliams6275,

If it is a DLNA compliant product then it will work with the ReadyNAS. Now to control the product that allows you to use your mobile or smart phone, I think that already depends on the app that you will use on the phone. How its interface works and display things.

Regards,

Message 2 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@JennC wrote:

If it is a DLNA compliant product then it will work with the ReadyNAS.

I think the challenge here is that it not DLNA compliant.  Though I don't own one, so I can only go by what I read.

There is an Alexa app (houseband) that can control the JRiver Media Center software.  The media center can then control Sonos speakers -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPsOKhC7V4g

But that doesn't involve the NAS directly, and AFAIK it isn't a general DLNA solution.  There isn't any hint that houseband can work with plex for instance.

Message 3 of 4
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Using Amazon Echo To Access ReadyNAS DLNA

Hello mwilliams6275,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements