× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume doesn't resync automatically after replacing hdd

Micmap
Aspirant

Volume doesn't resync automatically after replacing hdd

Ok please help, I have a readynas rn314 with an expansion unit eda500.
One of the disks of the raid5 volume in the expansion unit failed the disk test, so I thought it would be a good idea to change the disk.
I replaced the failed disk with a new one except it does not automatically start repairing the volume.

https://i.imgur.com/mPQl8Q4.jpg

When I click the replaced disk all the options are not clickable and I'm stuck here. (see screenshot above)
I'm a bit stressed because my volume has no redundancy atm. How to fix this so the volume will add the new disk to the raid5 volume?

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 5
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Volume doesn't resync automatically after replacing hdd

Did you replace with the same brand of drive?  If not, is it possible that the new drive is just slightly smaller than the originals?

If that's not it, first try re-bootng.  And if that doesn't help, see if you can toggle off XRAID and have the options become available.  Once the sync is complete, you can toggle back on XRAID (though it doesn't seem to be doing its job).

Message 2 of 5
Micmap
Aspirant

Ok I did shut down the NAS before replacing the drive. And put in the new drive before booting.
But apparently that is not the right way to do it, when I booted with the drive removed it started syncing as soon as I hot-plugged the new drive into the nas.

But I still think the first way I tried should work as well, through the webinterface. It is also not described in the manual how to do this.
Something like this should be described in detail.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

I always recommend hot removal and hot insertion, because then the NAS easily detects the insertion/removal event.  That said, replacing a drive with the NAS powered down should also work. There are some cases where the failure sets the SATA interface down, and of course many just feel uncomfortable with hot insertion.

@Micmap wrote:

But I still think the first way I tried should work as well, through the webinterface. 

Did you try clicking on the new disk?  If so, did that enable the format control on the right of the screen?

Message 4 of 5
Micmap
Aspirant

Yes in a first attempt I was able to format the drive. But clicked something wrong and ended up with a global spare.
I'll stick with hot-swapping. Running readynas 6.9.0. atm

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements