× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Went from reallocated sector count increase warning to no detected volumes

ryan_g
Aspirant

Went from reallocated sector count increase warning to no detected volumes

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 2 that's been running fine for 3 years but starting today the volumes are no longer accessible. 

It looks like I missed out on reallocated sector count emails due to an SMTP server change (lesson learned to have some closer monitoring). 

Log snippet: 

• The paths for the shares listed below could not be found. Typically, this occurs when the ReadyNAS is unable to access the data volume. media backup addons-config
  • Volume scan failed to run properly.
  • System is up.
  • Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 1: Previous count: 673 Current count: 723 Growing SMART errors indicate a disk that may fail soon. If the errors continue to increase, you should be prepared to replace the disk.

It only appears that Disk 1 has had any errors logged, nothing from disk 2. 

I have a new approved hard drive on the way.

Is my best bet to pull disk 1 and insert a new drive? 

Anything else I should be doing? 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Went from reallocated sector count increase warning to no detected volumes

Do you have a backup?

Try shutting it down, removing disk 1, and then booting up again - and see if the volume shows up again.  

If it doesn't (and you have no backup), you should contact support.netgear.com (they will likely charge).  It's possible that they can remount the volume, they also have a data recovery service.  Data recovery (no matter who does it) is expensive, and might not succeed.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Do you have a backup?

Try shutting it down, removing disk 1, and then booting up again - and see if the volume shows up again.  

If it doesn't (and you have no backup), you should contact support.netgear.com (they will likely charge).  It's possible that they can remount the volume, they also have a data recovery service.  Data recovery (no matter who does it) is expensive, and might not succeed.

Message 2 of 4
ryan_g
Aspirant

No backup, so some lessons to be learned there.

Pulled Disk 1 and all the files are there. I've powered off the machine till a new disk can arrive and I can get that in to rebuild. 

Also going to purchase an external drive to start having actual backups. 

Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ryan_g,

Consider a hard drive that is listed in our hard drive compatibility list. Once you have the replacement handy, insert it on slot 1 and just wait for the resync process to complete. 

Let us know if you have other questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements