× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Windows 10 Network discovery broken after 6.5.2 update

Jimmah
Aspirant

Windows 10 Network discovery broken after 6.5.2 update

Today I decided to set up some ReadyCloud shares, and discovered I needed to update my firmware to do so. The NAS then updated itself to 6.5.1.

Pretty much everything (including the new cloud shares) works, except for one thing: Windows 10 network access.

On two different windows 10 machines on the LAN cannot seem to be able to reliably see the NAS. Under explorer > network you can actually see the NAS appear for a second, then vanish, then reappear etc. A Windows 7 machine on the same network has no such issues!

I've since discovered that the "up-to-date" firmware is not up to date, but manually installing 6.5.2 did not fix anything. I've also discovered that if I manually map a drive to a location on the NAS I can browse it just fine. If I try to browse by opening the NAS from network locations the newly opened explorer window will close as soon as the NAS disappears from the network locations.

Here's the configuration:

* RN104 with firmware 6.5.2

* SMB, HTTP, and HTTPS services are the only ones enabled

* 1 X-RAID volume over 3 disks

* 1 External USB drive

* ReadyCloud enabled (none of the other cloud services)

* No apps running/installed

Network clients:

1 x Windows 7 (works fine)

2 x Windows 10 (mapped drive works, network browsing does not)

Hoping someone can shed some light!

(edit: I should probably add that I've done the obvious, like restarting all the machines in question)

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Windows 10 Network discovery broken after 6.5.2 update

I see your logs are being flooded with messages relating to the WSD discovery service. I have sent you instructions on how to update to a newer version of this service.

It looks like you used to have two volumes and the NAS still has references to the volume you destroyed in its config which should be cleaned up.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
bedlam1
Prodigy

Are all devices members of the same Workgroup

You could also try Disabling (Turn Off) Password-Protected sharing for ALL NETWORKS in Control Panel/Network and Sharing Centre/Advanced  Sharing Settings

Also I believe you need UPnP enabled on the NAS for Readycloud to work

Message 2 of 8
Jimmah
Aspirant

Thanks. ReadyCloud is working just fine without uPnP, but I tried turning it on anyhow.

I've tried turned off password protected sharing - no change.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you put all accounts in the same workgroup as bedlam1 suggested?

The default workgroup for PCs is WORKGROUP, but the NAS by default on old firmware was set to VOLUME. If you upgraded from such old firmware you might want to change the workgroup on the NAS to match then used by your PCs.

Can you send me in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 8
Jimmah
Aspirant

Apologies! All machines were indeed on WORKGROUP, but I did not realise the NAS also had a workgroup name set. I changed this to WORKGROUP, and even restarted the NAS, but no joy.

I've just sent the logs.

It's mainly an annoyance now that I've worked out mapped drives work fine.

Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I see your logs are being flooded with messages relating to the WSD discovery service. I have sent you instructions on how to update to a newer version of this service.

It looks like you used to have two volumes and the NAS still has references to the volume you destroyed in its config which should be cleaned up.

Message 6 of 8
Jimmah
Aspirant

It's fixed now, unfortunately it's late here in N.Z. and I didn't think to check between stuff, so it's one/more of:

* the updated WSD discovery service

* disabling IPv6

* cleaning up the volume config, if that had already been done via remote admin

My money's on #1

Thanks mdgm, much appreciated 😃

Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would think it is #1 too.

#3 was just something that should be done.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements