× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

how to change order for media files DLNA

Schtevo
Aspirant

how to change order for media files DLNA

I'm using a ReadyNAS 10200 to stream music To a Samsung BD5800 with the inbuilt DLNA server. Firmware is latest version 6.5

albums are sorted in individual folders, and tracks are named 01- track name.mp3, 02 - track name.mp3, etc.

files are displaying and playing in alphabetical order of the track name, ignoring it seems the ID3 tag track number AND the track numbers in the file name.

I can also stream to iPad running VLC player app with the same server and it displays and plays in the same order, so I am assuming this is an issue with the server and not the receiver(s).

is there any way to make the album tracks display in track order?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Schtevo
Aspirant

Re: how to change order for media files DLNA

I have confirmed that it is sorting on the ID3 Title tag in alphabetical order.

Now to retag 100GB of MP3's.......

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
vandermerwe
Master

Usually the client determines the sort order, either through a user specified value or a default value specific to the device.  

I don't use dlna, but what I suspect is happening is that the players are using the filenames to determine the order, rather than using the tag.

The workaround here would be to rename the files so that the track number makes up the first part of the filenames.   I realise you have this already but could you try omitting the leading 0 ?

Mp3tag is arguably the best windows tagger and will rename all your files as a batch process, using the tag information that you select. Set up the "Tag to filename" function as you would like it.

If that does not work, not sure.

Message 2 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@vandermerwe wrote:

Usually the client determines the sort order, either through a user specified value or a default value specific to the device.  

Clients can request a sort order (which ReadyDLNA should be honoring).  In cases where they don't, usually they are wanting to build the sort themselves, so ReadyDLNA doesn't  (which speeds up delivery). There are one or two exception cases in the server (where sorting is forced for specific clients).  But I am guessing your Samsung BD5800 isn't one of them.

There is a debug toggle for ReadyDLNA on legacy platforms, but I am not seeing a link for that with OS6.

One option is to try plex instead, and see if it sorts differently.

Message 3 of 8
Schtevo
Aspirant

Thanks vandermerwe, I don't think you are right that it is ordering on the filename - I thought my OP was clear that I had the track number as the beginning of the file name.

I'm now thinking it might be ordering alphabetically on the ID3 tag filename which doesn't have the track number on it.

Next thing to try is adding the track number to the ID3 tag filename - I haven't tried the tag tool you recommended, but I do have another one

Cheers

Schtevo.

Message 4 of 8
Schtevo
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, I had been looking for the debug toggle but it doesn't seem to be around for the newer stuff as you said. Is there plans for this in the future?

Message 5 of 8
Schtevo
Aspirant

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@Schtevo wrote:

Definitely a pain.

Remember to use 2 digits for the prepended track number (to ensure you get 01, 02, 03 and not 1, 10, 11).  Tagscanner lets you set the number of digits, not sure about other tools.  FWIW it can prepend to your existing title, it doesn't need to rebuild everything from the file name.

Message 7 of 8
Schtevo
Aspirant

Cheers, I'm using a program called Tag&Rename

Already had the leading zeros in the filenames so one big batch change was all I needed.

To do 100GB took just less than the time it took to play the album I used to test 😉

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements