× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

readynas ultra 6 reboot

bernardi_p
Aspirant

readynas ultra 6 reboot

NAS reboot repeatly, HDDs was all substituited, no power sullpy malfunction was relevated... what can it be?

Model: RNDU6000|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
bernardi_p
Aspirant

Re: readynas ultra 6 reboot

Sandshark, i read about power supply messages about other models (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Error-V-12-power-is-out-of-normal-r...) and I thought this can be also for ready nas.The NAS has been running continuously and well since yesterday, it really seems that the electrolytic capacitors were to blame. Thanks very much for the tips.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Does the NAS immediately reboot over and over?  Or does it remain running for a while, and then sometimes reboot?

What firmware is it running?

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

How have you determined the problem is not the power supply?

Message 3 of 8
bernardi_p
Aspirant

I did not received any error message about power supply malfunction (in a  previous post I read that power failure are sent by email or recorded in system log). Meanwhile I decided to check power supply and I found four electrolitical condenser with a mismatching capacity (lower than prevised) - changing these condensers all seems work fine.

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 4 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't know where you read that you'd receive an email about a power supply issue, but that is rarely the case.  It does sound like a power supply issue to me, and hopefully changing those capacitors will do the trick.  If it doesn't, then it can be replaced with an SFX format supply, though you'll likely need a 24-pin extension and a 4-pin Molex splitter or SATA to Molex adapter (or two).  I recommend at least a 350W supply to insure there is sufficient 12V, even though the original is a 300W.

Message 5 of 8
bernardi_p
Aspirant

Sandshark, i read about power supply messages about other models (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Error-V-12-power-is-out-of-normal-r...) and I thought this can be also for ready nas.The NAS has been running continuously and well since yesterday, it really seems that the electrolytic capacitors were to blame. Thanks very much for the tips.

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@bernardi_p wrote:

i read about power supply messages about other models (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Error-V-12-power-is-out-of-normal-r...) and I thought this can be also for ready nas.

If power is slightly out of spec (and you have email alerts configured), then you could receive a message.

But if the power supply has actually failed, then the NAS won't boot - and of course you won't get an email in that situation.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Actually, the configuration for many ReadyNAS models has no monitoring of some or all of the internal voltages.  I assume that's because the hardware has no monitoring provisions.  Also, there is a huge difference in how a unit with an internal multi-voltage supply (like your Ultra6) and one with an external 12V brick (like the Pro2 from that message) handle things.

And, more importanly, voltage issues often occur so quickly that the NAS locks up or re-boots before it has time to record an error, even if it has a monitor for it.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements