× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

time machine OSStatus error 2

towelman
Initiate

time machine OSStatus error 2

Hi

I'm having a problem accessing my readynas nv+2 to use as a time machine backup

I'm managing to get past the password stage when logging into time machine, whereby i get the error
The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

This is a common problem from what I can tell, but I can't find a fix anywhere. any ideas?

Thanks
Message 1 of 7
marktb1961
Aspirant

Re: time machine OSStatus error 2

I've got this problem too.

Password is accepted so I wonder if it's some problem with permissions.

Wonder if you ever managed to solve it yourself back in 2012!

Message 2 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 3 of 7
marktb1961
Aspirant

@mgdm  thanks. I have followed the instructions and emailed my logs.

Message 4 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your volume is 95% full, which is getting quite full. You would only be able to set a Time Machine quota of about 100GB or so with this much free space which would be too small for what you need one would think.

I can see in diagnostics.log that one of your disks has failed the SMART self-assessment test and a few others have a couple of ATA errors.

Do you have a backup?

Message 5 of 7
marktb1961
Aspirant

Hi -

Yes, I have got backups. Multiple ones.

I know about the errored disks - the ATA errored two have been like that since I got them second hand about 2 years ago. The SMART failure was on a Netgear supplied replacement about the same time and that's the one with the most recent failure. I am considering replacement now.

My attempt with Time Machine has been limited to allocating to 150Gb (the free space was up at about 200Gb at the time). When set up Time Machine in FrontView, I notice that the allocated quantity always gets reset to zero. I can tell from the MacBook that the Password I set is getting set, so should the allocated quantity be showing zero ? 

I take your point about the size of the volume. If I can be confident about getting time machine going, I will be able to remove some Memeo backup data from the ReadyNAS and so regain enough space to backup on Time Machine.

Regards,

Mark

Message 6 of 7
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The quota should not be being reset to zero.

If you clear your web browser cache, close your web browser, then reopen Frontview is the quota still showing  as set at zero?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements