× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

unable to access NAS Drive

ph0t0rory
Aspirant

unable to access NAS Drive

Hi All, 

our Ready Nas Duo 2 v1 (I believe from searches through these forums) seem to be under the weather. 

it was all working well yesterday morning then yesterday afternoon it went down and i wasn't able to connect from either mac or Windows pc  in the office. the blue power light was still on and both drive leds were solid. I eventually pulled the plug on the NAS as holding the power button double/ pressing it   doesn't seem to have had an affect. the unti also wouldnt show up in Raidar. nor could i access via IP

trying again this morning   still no joy ive tried removing one of the two drives and rebooting to no avail. I then stumbled upon a suggestion to remove both drives and reboot. behold the NAS popped up on Raidar. as diskless. so i powered off (again using the plug at the rear as it seems unresponsive to presssing the power button and popped both drives back into the enclosure. 

Rebooting after htat shows the nas appearing in raidar with the status starting up then quora checks and then it just drops off raidar again and i get the "no netgear products..."     message on raidar. 

Any suggestions on how to get this up and running again?   

Model: RND2110v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 1TB (1 X 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Re: unable to access NAS Drive

If you need to offload data, then I suggest connecting disk 1 to a Windows PC (usb adapter/dock is ok), and use r-linux for windows. https://www.r-studio.com/free-linux-recovery/Download.shtml

After you extract the data, I'd test both disks with vendor tools (seatools for seagate; lifeguard for western digitial).  If the drives are ok, then either do a quick-zero (lifeguard) or remove the partitions (windows disk manager).  Reinsert them into the Duo, and power it up - it should then do a fresh factory install.

Message 2 of 11
ph0t0rory
Aspirant

Hi Stephen 

ok thanks i'll see what i can do.  One thing i shouldve mentioned is that on rebooting the device initally (yesterday afternoon) the blue power light started blinking. i presumed this was its way of saying im rebooting (thats how my WD NAS works) but it was still doingthat this morning. Can you clarify what the blinking (1 per sec) blue light means? 

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Is it a pattern of faster and slower blinks?

Message 4 of 11
ph0t0rory
Aspirant

hi Stephen, 

Seems to be pretty continious 1 blink a second. no disceranable pattern. I've got a video of the unit on the below link if that helps

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8jdz18iky25navq/IMG_3372.MOV?dl=0

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

I believe that just indicates that it's booting (which of course isn't completing).

Message 6 of 11
ph0t0rory
Aspirant

Hmmm 

Ok thanks 🙂 fingers crossed i can get this resolved tomorrow 

Message 7 of 11
ph0t0rory
Aspirant

hi All, 

I seem to have mmoved forward on this this morning as booting the NAS one drive at a time reveals that the 1st Disk hasa corrupt root. So placing disk 2 (which  should be the back up disk if i understand X raid formatting correctly) into slot 1 and rebooting makes the nas visible again in raidar and finder but i still cant access it? just shows up as connection failed. 

Is this to do with the fact that the 2nd drive is the back up so it doesn't know to look for it? should I be purchasing a new hard drive to put in disk one and find a way to restorte from disk 2 to disk 1? 

Raidar now reports as the attached   screenshot

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ph0t0rory wrote:

So placing disk 2 (which  should be the back up disk if i understand X raid formatting correctly) into slot 1 and rebooting makes the nas visible again in raidar and finder

Actually the NAS should boot with slot 1 empty - and it is best to keep disk 2 in it's original slot.  Though the data is mirrored, the two disks aren't partitioned the same way, and it can be confusing if the "parity" disk is in the wrong slot.  So at your convenience, power down the duo and move the disk back.

@ph0t0rory wrote:

but i still cant access it? just shows up as connection failed. 

Have you looked at the logs?  You can browse the high-level log by going into Frontview ( http://nas-ip-address/admin ), and you should also be able to download the log zip file from there.  You can also enable http access for the shares, and make sure that you can see the files in your browser ( http://nas-ip-address/shares )

@ph0t0rory wrote:

Is this to do with the fact that the 2nd drive is the back up so it doesn't know to look for it? 

No.  But after you get access back, if you want to keep using the Duo you should replace the drive with one that is at least same size.  A NAS-purposed drive is best (1 or 2 TB) - your NAS can't handle anything bigger than 2 TB.  If the drives are very old, you might consider replacing both disks.

@ph0t0rory wrote:

rebooting makes the nas visible again in raidar and finder but i still cant access it?

Are you accessing it in finder the same way you did before (and from the same Mac)?

One option would be to enable FTP on the NAS, and install FileZilla on the Mac.  If that gives you access, you can then back up the data, and do a factory reset on the NAS.  Then set it up again, and restore the data.

Message 9 of 11
ph0t0rory
Aspirant

hi Stephen

sorry not sure how you quote in this forum. this may bea bit messy. 

"Actually the NAS should boot with slot 1 empty - and it is best to keep disk 2 in it's original slot.  Though the data is mirrored, the two disks aren't partitioned the same way, and it can be confusing if the "parity" disk is in the wrong slot.  So at your convenience, power down the duo and move the disk back."

ok I've switched the disks back-Thanks for the heads up. i get the same messge on Raidar  

"Have you looked at the logs?  You can browse the high-level log by going into Frontview ( http://nas-ip-address/admin ), and you should also be able to download the log zip file from there.  You can also enable http access for the shares, and make sure that you can see the files in your browser ( http://nas-ip-address/shares )" 

I can't get access to the logs as the IP address just comes back unresponsive.  this might be because Ive plugged the unit directly into my mac using ethernet?  plugging it into the router seems to = no booting. I've also done a OS reinstall (pin hole in the back and powered on lights flashed at 5 seconds and released pin hole) which may have been how I've got to this stage.

the office have lost confidence with this NAS so it will probably be relagated to light duties if i can get it up and running at all. The data on the drives is what im trying to access at the moment- we have had to order a usb sata caddy/connecter before i can try plugging the hard drives in directly. but its good to know that we cant go above 2tb single drives. 

Im attempting to access it in exactly the same way as previously in that it shows up in finders side panel but refuses to connect.   and won't let me bring up a log ion window as it has previously. 

Id be interested to explore the option of Filezilla (we use this for other business)  but im thinking id need to access the Front view to be able to enable it? 

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ph0t0rory wrote:

I can't get access to the logs as the IP address just comes back unresponsive.  this might be because Ive plugged the unit directly into my mac using ethernet? 

Generally when you do a direct connect you need to set up a static address on the PC that is consistent with the Duo's address.  If the Duo is using DHCP, then it will fail over to 192.168.168.168 when you do a direct connect.  You should see that address in RAIDar.  Setting the Mac NIC card to 192.168.168.100 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255 should let you reach the NAS (perhaps start with ping, to make sure you have connectivity).

It should boot up when connected to the router though.  You could try booting up with the network cable disconnected, and then after it settles down you could connect the cable.

@ph0t0rory wrote:

Id be interested to explore the option of Filezilla (we use this for other business)  but im thinking id need to access the Front view to be able to enable it? 

Yes, you would need access to frontview.  

Another avenue for data offload is to boot the NAS in tech support mode.  If you have reasonable linux skills you can mount the data volume and copy the contents to a USB drive.  But R-linux for windows should be easier, especially when there is some evidence of a corrupted OS partition on the disk.

@ph0t0rory wrote:

sorry not sure how you quote in this forum. this may be a bit messy. 

I use the "quote" control, and then edit out the parts I don't want.  The forum software is a bit buggy, so I sometimes end up switching to html mode, and making some adjustments there.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements