× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Out of Memory+36c

jamessawle2
Aspirant

Out of Memory+36c

I have managed after a week of trying to update my very stable NAS box to the latest version 6.6.0, then after a weekend I find its failed on my. Now states 'Out of Memory+36c'

Any ideas how I fix this?  PS, I am not a techie....

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Out of Memory+36c

Reboot the NAS and download the logs and send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Out of Memory (OOM) errors suggest a memory leak is likely (i.e. something used up a lot of memory, more than it should leading to the system running out of memory and forcibly shutting down services as it has no other choice)

Message 2 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

Cant seem to get it to stay up long enough, I can log into the admin page and see the logs, but if I try to download them nothing happens, then after a while the admin page becomes unresponsive and then it vanishes from RAIDar, it worked fine for 2 years before I updated it, no information has been written to the device in ages, I just use it for accessing files for work, it states on the front that it has 7% free so its not full, but obviosly getting there, any ideas how I can get access to the logs?

Message 3 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

Noticed that in the RAIDar app when the unit is up you get the chance to download logs, but even trying this I just get a 'Downloading progress' dialogue box and this never gets any higher than 0% and just states that its 'Connecting to ReadyNAS ...'

Any ideas?

James

Message 4 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try booting into volume read-only mode and downloading the logs when booted into that.

Message 5 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

How do I boot the unit in 'Read Only' mode?

Message 6 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

Message 7 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

OK, Managed to find it, but have a problem here, holding the reset in and powering up the unit I can press the 'Backup' button which then accesses the Boot Menu, I get the first option 'Normal', but when I press the button again nothing happens? All I get is the 'Normal' option, cannot get the unit to scroll through any other options. Looking at the manual the LED's should change, but they dont?

Message 8 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

OK, been trying all day yesterday and most of today but just cannot get this to boot into any other mode than 'Normal' also when it does boot I cannot get the logs downloaded before the unit shuts down.

Really need the data off this drive, is there anything eklse I can try????????????

Message 9 of 20
StephenB
Guru

Is this what you are doing?

1. Power off your storage system.

2. Using a straightened paper clip, press and hold the Reset button.

3. Press the Power button. The system powers on.

4. Continue to press the Reset button until the status display screen shows a boot menu message. (then release the reset button)

5. Press the Backup button to scroll through boot mode options. The status display screen shows the current boot mode option.

6. When the status display screen shows the boot mode that you need, press and release the Reset button to confirm your boot menu selection. The system boots in the selected boot mode.

Message 10 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB, I was not releasing the reset when I was trying to select the menu options, Opps!

I have managed to download the logs and are now e-mailing them.

Thanks

James

Message 11 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You last did a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) back on 6.0.8 and your data volume is quite full.

Now that you've booted into volume read-only mode I'd suggest backing up your data as the next step.

Message 12 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

I am presently doing that, though it will take a while as will need to order some more storage today to cover the space required.

What will be the next step after this?

Message 13 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your backup complete yet?

One option would be to do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.

Message 14 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Is your backup complete yet?

One option would be to do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and restore your data from backup.

Message 15 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

Finally managed to get the unit backed up, sorry for taking so long but funds were a tad short and in the end I needed to purchase 4 G-Tech 4Tb USB 3.0 Drives to get the stuff safe.

So now what?

But before someone (Hopefully : MDGM) answers this....

I take it that I am going to be wiping this which I am now OK about, but what is going to stop this happening again? and why has this happened, I have 3 of this exact model and 2 of the others are running fine and have a lot less space than this one available, one has only 230Mb free and has been running OK for well over a year, whereas this one seems to have failed with 885Gb Free.

Is there a way to make sure that this does not happen again?

Kind Regards and Thanks for the help

James

Message 16 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OOM (Out of Memory) errors indicate that the system has insufficient memory (RAM) to run what it is being asked to run so the system starts force shutting down services in an effort to free up memory.

You could try disabling quotas at the volume level (there is a GUI option in the upcoming 6.7.0 release) if that hasn't already been done.

You have more control over configuring the snapshot retention policy now than what you did when you first got your NAS so you could configure it to keep less snapshots.

A factory reset may not end up being necessary.

Message 17 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

You state ''A factory reset may not end up being necessary.'', So what do I need to do?

As for the Snapshots, Never done Any or setup any!

And also to the best of my knowledge I never setup any quotas also?

So waiting on you to suggest what my next step is?

Thanks for the help

James

Message 18 of 20
jamessawle2
Aspirant

Message 19 of 20
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

From 6.4.0 onwards quotas are enabled at the volume level whether or not you have quotas set on shares.

We have the option to disable quotas at the volume level in 6.7.0. Also an OS Re-install on 6.7.0 (and later) will disable quotas at the volume level.

I'd suggest updating to 6.7.0.

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements