× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNas NV+ v2 stuck on boot menu (RND4000-200AJS)

mickrad
Aspirant

ReadyNas NV+ v2 stuck on boot menu (RND4000-200AJS)

I've been using my NAS for 3 years now and it's been great. Rarely an issue and only had to reboot a few times (when drive got full)

Today, however, it has decided to die.

When I went to use it, the screen on the front of the NAS was blank and I could not power down, so I pulled the plug and pushed it back in.

On start-up, the screen went straight to the 'Boot Menu' and stayed that way.

I have tried to hold down the reset button and scroll through the options, but it will not move from 'Normal' and I cannot even make it boot up at all. It appears to be stuck on Boot menu.

I have tried removing drives (I have 4x WD. 2x 3TB, 1x 1.5TB and 1 2TB) but to no avail.

Having searched high and low for answers, I am desperate now.

Can I either, reset the firmware to allow me to boot again, or if the box is truly bricked, how do I recover my data?

Thanks,

Mick

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNas NV+ v2 stuck on boot menu (RND4000-200AJS)

Does RAIDar give you an additional status information when you are stuck on the boot menu?

Just wanting to confirm - the disk is blank, not formatted?  You can unformat at drive with windows disk manager, or by zeroing it with vendor diags (seatools or WD Lifeguard).  If there is a "quick zero" option available, that will also unformat the drive.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you have a scratch disk, you could try removing all the existing disks (labelling by slot) and install the scratch - all with the NAS powered down. Then power up and see if the system will boot/do a factory install.

Message 2 of 9
mickrad
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply, Stephen.

I have installed a blank disk into the unit and tried the get to the Factory Reset setting, however I cannot get the Boot Menu to change from 'Normal'

I have tried pushing the reset button in, turning it on...holding it down for ages...clicking Backup with it held down...every combination.

It just stays on Boot Menu - Normal

Is there another way to force a factory reset?

Thanks,
Mick

Model: ReadyNASRND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@mickrad wrote:

Thanks for your reply, Stephen.

I have installed a blank disk into the unit and tried the get to the Factory Reset setting, however I cannot get the Boot Menu to change from 'Normal'

I have tried pushing the reset button in, turning it on...holding it down for ages...clicking Backup with it held down...every combination.

It just stays on Boot Menu - Normal

Is there another way to force a factory reset?

Thanks,
Mick

With a blank disk, even the normal boot will do a reset (there is no choice, since the OS is on the disk).

Did you check your warranty status?  The warranty is 3 years, so there is a chance you are still covered.

Message 4 of 9
mickrad
Aspirant

Thanks again for reply.

The NAS just starts up and goes directly to Boot Menu on the screen every time.

If I click 'backup' it changes to Normal, but pushing in the reset button does nothing. It does not continue to boot.

No matter how many times I click 'Backup' it does not change from Normal.

It is just a few months out of warranty. Extremely disappointed.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Does RAIDar give you an additional status information when you are stuck on the boot menu?

Just wanting to confirm - the disk is blank, not formatted?  You can unformat at drive with windows disk manager, or by zeroing it with vendor diags (seatools or WD Lifeguard).  If there is a "quick zero" option available, that will also unformat the drive.

Message 6 of 9
mickrad
Aspirant

I placed a 'scratch' disk in the chassis and it booted up correctly, performing a factory reset on the device.
Once it booted successfully, I replaced the existing disks in the box and it's booted up fine.
Thanks for your help. So happy that it has survived!

Message 7 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mickrad,

Welcome to the community!

Since the system is operational, we suggest that you start backing up your data and once done, update the system to the latest Firmware.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mickrad,

We would like to know if everything is fine now with your ReadyNAS system. You may now mark this thread closed, by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button in one of the responses that you received.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements