Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FVS318N requires frequent reboot

mulox
Aspirant

FVS318N requires frequent reboot

I bought this firewall about 1 year ago and never upgraded the original firmware so it was very, very old, I think 4.0 or earlier, don't recall (now I am wishing I would have backed up the old firmware).

I decided to upgrade to v 4.3.4-2 on Jan. 4, 2017 and ironically the next day we had an ice storm that took down our cable modem service for the entire neighborhood.  After Comcast fixed this everything was working ok with our service and the modem - but our connection would go down every hour or so (sometimes as fast as 30 minutes, and no more than 2 hours), requiring a reboot and then everything was fine again for up to 2 hours.  Obviously this got very frustrating very quickly, so I had Comcast send a technician to inspect, and everything checked out ok.  

Then I remembered about the recent firmware upgrade with the Netgear FVS318N, so I unplugged it, and just connected my laptop directly into the cable modem... no problems at all for a full day!  I plugged the FVS318N back in, and watched it more closely.  When the internet connection goes down, cable modem is fine (lights all on/green and Comcast support shows it online as well, and pulling correct IP).  The FVS318N has all lights on, but I noticed that clients don't have IP addresses - so could be a DHCP issue?

I don't have any non-typical settings, not using VPN, or port forwarding, no stealth, etc. and I have WiFi function turned off... so just a plain old wired router setup.  Not sure what to try now other than a factory reset or downgrading the firmware (which I would need Netgear support to send me older versions).

Model: FVS318N|ProSafe Wireless N 8 port gigabit VPN firewall
Message 1 of 5
ChenX
NETGEAR Expert

Re: FVS318N requires frequent reboot

Hi mulox

Welcome to the community! 

If you upgrade to v 4.3.4-2 from very old firmware,I suggest you do a factory reset.

Or can you try to fix the ip address to see if it still has the issue?

Regards

Message 2 of 5
SamirD
Prodigy

Be sure to factory default the configuration and rebuild your configuration from scratch.  The FVS (and other manufacturer's routers as well) do weird things when remnents of the old firmware configuration runs on the newer firmware.

Message 3 of 5
mulox
Aspirant

First reset did not work, but a 2nd time did the trick... thanks!

Message 4 of 5
SamirD
Prodigy

You're welcome!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements