× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6200 OSX Support?

stlblufan
Aspirant

A6200 OSX Support?

I bought the A6200 from MacMall thinking--go figure--that it supports OSX. Turns out I was wrong. Should I return it or is OSX support imminent?

Message 1 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: A6200 OSX Support?

what support is failing?
Message 2 of 22
stlblufan
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
what support is failing?

All support. The OS doesn't recognize the device. Nothing happens. I have the R6300 and have Genie installed, but that doesn't help.
Message 3 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Router does not limits by the o/s so will work fine. Usually any supplement application the issues but genie makes for Mac so there will not issues
Message 4 of 22
stlblufan
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
Router does not limits by the o/s so will work fine. Usually any supplement application the issues but genie makes for Mac so there will not issues

I don't think we're on the same page here. The A6200 is not recognized by OSX. When I plug it in to a USB port, nothing happens -- it does not show up as a network adapter. It's as if nothing was plugged in. I presume that the A6200 needs an OSX driver to function.

Anyway, I'm returning mine.
Message 5 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 6 of 22
stlblufan
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
It's end user setup issues...

http://netgear.com/landing/en-us/readyshare.aspx

With all due respect, are you familiar with the just-released A6200 wi-fi adapter? It isn't covered on the link that you have shared, and as I mentioned above, there is no option to "setup" the device. It is simply not recognized when plugged in to a USB port on a Mac.
Message 7 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Go to macsales.com for all Mac hardware
Message 8 of 22
chaotic_chaos
Aspirant

stlblufan wrote:
With all due respect, are you familiar with the just-released A6200 wi-fi adapter? It isn't covered on the link that you have shared, and as I mentioned above, there is no option to "setup" the device. It is simply not recognized when plugged in to a USB port on a Mac.

It's because there isn't an OSX driver yet. Ignore him, he hasn't a clue about Macs and macsales.com is his answer for everything. 10 years ago Mac support was sketchy, but now most everybody supports mac because they know it's a HUGE market they are missing if they don't.
Message 9 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Netgear don't support Mac much anymore so wasting your time complaining
Message 10 of 22
HoluCallouse
Aspirant

WOW,I find great topic in this forum.

thunt
Aspirant

Just spoke with tech support - the thing doesnt work for macs as of now.
Ba bow Netgrear. Epic Fail.

I dont get how you can release such a (seemingly) great product, do all the marketing and presentation of it, take it to market - and forget to have a MAC driver for it. Geez. Half the people that buy it will be pissed.

Hopefully if / when they release a Mac driver, someone will post here.
Message 12 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I doubt netgear will release osx driver

Even dlink's AC1200 (DWA-182) does not support OSX

Only exciting thing for Apple is that this year 2013 model will get 802.11ac support.
Message 13 of 22
gdd
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, so I can accept Netgear A6200 is only for Windows...

What is the accepted AC Dual band Wireless Adapter for a Macbook Pro
running OSX 10.8 into a Netgear R6300 (and I give the A6200 to my wife...)?
Message 14 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Go to macsales.com and see what they got. Best place for Mac parts
Message 15 of 22
gdd
Aspirant
Aspirant

OK, so far I guess it's pointless to move to 802.11 ac (Netgear R6300) for a Mac user. The Mac would connect at 802.11n 45Mbps speeds over 2.4 GHz?
Thanks.
(And since I have to suffer, the whole house is going to suffer also...)

jmizoguchi wrote:
Go to macsales.com and see what they got. Best place for Mac parts
Message 16 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

On top, Apple has not came out with 802.11ac Airport extreme card supports yet so possible third party is not ready.

Apple is releasing 802.11ac this year

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/04/os-x-10-8-4-beta-reveals-802-11ac-is-coming-soon-to-a-mac-near-...
Message 17 of 22
lexworth
Aspirant

I'm using VitualBox with the extension pack on Windows 7 Ultimate on a MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz Core i5 MacOs X 10.6.8.

1) Download and install VitualBox
2) install Windows 7 (make sure you are using Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 or Virtual router will not work)
3) Download and install the extensions pack for VirtualBox.
4) Boot into the windows 7 Virtual Machine and install the Driver for the Netgear A6200 WiFi adapter then Restart.
6) Download and install Virtual Router for Windows and restart.
7) Select from the USB device from the device list pulldown menu ( you will need to select the Netgear A2600 WiFi Adapter each time you restart the VM)
😎 Launch Virtual Router to create a wifi network from your mac's wifi card then go over to the Mac side and select the wifi network you just created with Virtual Router.

Downloads:

Netgear A2600 Wifi Adapter:
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/A6200

VirtualBox:
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

VirtualRouter:
http://download.cnet.com/Virtual-Router-Manager/3000-18508_4-75332523.html
Message 18 of 22
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

This is question for native osx driver solutions.

Answer is still no. Yes using parallels, VMware and other emulation may let you use in windows but not natively
Message 19 of 22
Tikiman2012
Aspirant

Use Asus USB-AC56 adapter.
Message 20 of 22
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Only 1 NETGEAR adapter supports MAC OS and I beleive it's already EOL.
Message 21 of 22
horseman
Aspirant

This is extremely unfortunate. Having acquired the A6200 USB for my MacbookPro it appears I need now to attempt to test it in my VirtualMachine Windows 7 guest!

On top of a failure of my year old GS108T Intelligent switch and continued design failures of various rebadged (Netgear Cable DOCSIS Gateways)SuperHubs VMDG480/485 I'm becoming increasingly unimpressed with Netgear products!

I really can't wait to test the latest VMDG490 802.11ac gateway/router from this supplier!
I clearly owe my ISP an apology for blaming them specifically for lack of quality when clearly the only mistake they made was selecting Netgear as their sole supplier!

And of course I can't test the latest 802.11ac Gateway Router component fully until I fix this unexpected A6200 USB adapter issue!

Catch22.....
Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7