× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

A6210 OSX Mac Support

dylanetaft
Follower

A6210 OSX Mac Support

Ah....

Grab the MT7610U driver for OSX

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/

Run the installer, however the installer is very broken.  Have a finder window open, browse to /

The installer creates a directory "RT2870Resources" in root.  Copy it somewhere before the installer finishes.

The installer will finish, you can hit I think option or alt l for the log.  It will show lots of failures that you get to manually fix.

Browse to your copied RT2870 resources folder, grab the Yosemite kext file under driver.  Copy it to /Library/Extensions.  Chown it and chmod it to the appripriate permissions all other kext's have.

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

If you're running El Capitain:  Boot to recovery, csrutil disable

Reboot.

I dunno how to make kext's load automatically, so sudo to root, kextload /Library/ExtensionsRT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext

There, now you can set up your device with Mediatek's horrible wirless coinfiguration utility.  You'll probably get one chance before the front-end crashes.  

Well, it works.  I've been connected to a dual band N router for a while, getting the proper speeds.

Ummm...don't do this.  It involves turning off OSX security features and it doesn't work well.

Netgear...proper support please?  Well, whatever.  Hopefully this helps someone.

Message 1 of 15
CoachCal
Aspirant

Re: A6210 OSX Mac Support

I just received a A6210 at Christmas for our Macbook Pro 2010, and Netgear does not have a Mac OS X driver package?

Angry Spock

Message 2 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi CoachCal,

The A6210 works on Windows based Operating System. Drivers are only available for Windows.

Message 3 of 15
mmomega
Initiate

I actually searched around and found a driver that works for the A6210 in OSX. 

I'm currently running 10.11.4 

MediaTek is the chipset manufacturer. Chipset is the MT7612U.

So on the below linked page it should be the 2nd listed driver(for OSX) 1st listed is Windows.

http://www.mediatek.com/en/downloads1/downloads/

I downloaded the driver, installed, restarted and the utility opened almost immediately after restart. Chose a WiFi network, joined and everything seems to working fine.

Now I've only had it installed for literally a few minutes but it's at least working. Only time will tell on how well it works.

Message 4 of 15
BozeDawg
Aspirant

mmomega, thanks a ton for this... now I have WiFi on my Hackintosh instead of having to keep it connected via Ethernet.

Message 5 of 15
Aernout
Aspirant

I just bought one, it was nowhere clear to me that it was only for Windows... Pretty disappointed...

Will you make a driver for mac in the short term?

Message 6 of 15
JamesGL
Master

Hi Aernout,

You may check the system requirements of the device for compatible OS.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-adapters/a6210.aspx?cid=gwmng#tab-techspecs

Message 7 of 15
bandits1
Aspirant

mmomega - thanks for the heads up on the Mediatek driver.  Is your adapter still working fine?  Do you think the same driver would work with the A6200 USB 2.0 version of the adapter, too?

Message 8 of 15
mmomega
Initiate

The adapter was working fine up until I swapped out desktops about a week and a half ago. I now have a Mac Pro and the antennas in that transmit and receive signal better than the USB adapter did on the Mac Mini so I never tried installing it on the MP.

From what I can tell the A6200 uses a Broadcom BCM43526 chipset. At least in v1. 

I also read there may be a v2 out in the wild and that it could be based on the Realtek RTL8812AU chipset. 

I would start with a google search with that chipset as part of the search criteria and see what comes up.

Something like "RTL8812AU driver mac" or "BCM43526 driver mac" 

This is how I stumbled across the drivers for the A6210.

It just sometimes baffles me knowing that there are legitimate drivers out there to fix issues for people but companies don't make it known or easily accessible. 

Hope any of this helps.

Message 9 of 15
bandits1
Aspirant

Thanks again, mmomega, for the useful info.  Still debating whether I should gamble on the A6200 or just wait until my current 2011 Mac MIni dies and I buy a new Apple with wireless AC already built in.

Message 10 of 15
MattHarvey
Aspirant

A6210 OSX

I just bought one.  Downloaded the OSX software listed above. Using 10.10.5 OS.  Works so far.

I have a desktop too far away from my router to run an Ethernet cable.  We'll see how well this A6210 works with Netgear's AC1900 router.  I'm looking to get some snappy speed and edit with small-ish video proxy files in Premiere through a NAS drive.  I'll report back after some tests.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 11 of 15
Soft-machine
Aspirant

That link to the Mediatek download works a treat, not a very elegant front end to the software, but up and working in 5 minutes.

Nice find mmomega.

Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain Antenna WiFi USB Adapter
Message 12 of 15
lolunity6
Aspirant

I downloaded the MT7612U.  I apologize for being a newbie, but could you tell me how to install this?

Thanks,

Gary

Message 13 of 15
FPC
Initiate
Initiate

I am having with the OSX drvier downloaded. It is in .tar.bz2, and extract it, it turns to lots files and folders. I tried to compile it with makefile, it returned with error. i would like to learn how to make the installer works. millions thanks!

Message 14 of 15
FPC
Initiate
Initiate

I know what the trouble is, the download link for OSX is shown as Linux, so just download .dmg from https://d86o2zu8ugzlg.cloudfront.net/mediatek-craft/drivers/MT7612_7610U_D5.0.1.25_SDK1.0.2.18_UI5.0...

but it doesnt seem to work on 10.12.4.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7