× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDA3100v3 – N600 WiFi USB goes into like a sleep mode and not functional

TeamCorvette
Aspirant

WNDA3100v3 – N600 WiFi USB goes into like a sleep mode and not functional

Maybe 2 different issues.

This V3 is installed on a desktop with windows XP pro I use as a MS file server

I just bought 3 of these WNDA3100v3.

desktop was using a older V2 unit

I unstalled the V2 and then did a install from the Netgear C/D that came with the 3 units but the V3 would not work in that the desktop itself go go out to the internet or go to the Netgear router where I have a USB memory dongle with files on it

But none of my other computers on my LAN as clients could not see the server at all

I then installed a older version for v3 and that works BUT over idle time the V3 goes to like a sleep mode and clients cannot connect to it

Yet if I go to that server and out interent then the v3 works again and the clients can then map to that server

Questions

1. what is the newest driver for v3 that works with XP pro ? and where to get that driver.

2. Why is v3 goes to like a sleep mode, this is a desktop, not a laptop and I find no setting in the v3 config for any type of sleep mode, nor do I find any setting in Xp Pro that would put the USB ports to sleep and I find no such setting when going into device manager and looking at USB functions  ? ? ?

Thanks - JR

Model: WNDA3100v3|N600 WIFI USB Adapter
Message 1 of 9

Re: WNDA3100v3 – N600 WiFi USB goes into like a sleep mode and not functional

I'm a bit lost on all that, but let's deal with the questions.

@TeamCorvette wrote:

1. what is the newest driver for v3 that works with XP pro ? and where to get that driver.

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

That page will also have any software, firmware and drivers for your device, if they exist.

@TeamCorvette wrote:

2. Why is v3 goes to like a sleep mode, this is a desktop, not a laptop and I find no setting in the v3 config for any type of sleep mode, nor do I find any setting in Xp Pro that would put the USB ports to sleep and I find no such setting when going into device manager and looking at USB functions  ? ? ?

That has nothing to do with the USB adapter. It is a setting in Windows.

I have no idea how to do that in XP. (You are dicing with death if you allow anything on XP to connect to the Internet.) But this is where to look in Windows 10:

Wifi adapter propertiesWifi adapter properties

Message 2 of 9
TeamCorvette
Aspirant

Reason I asked about a newest driver that works for XP pro is in downloading off this website for this model.

After deleting the older Netgear software and then using the install for the newest version

Once installed the N dual band functions.

BUT the Netgear software pops up a screen and says there is a newer version

Selecting for that to download and install when done then the dual band ceases to work, even after rebooting the desktop and cannot even get to my Netgear router via a browser

Uninstalling that and doing the install from what I first downloaded dual band works again and when sreen pops up again saying there is a newer version I selct no to download and install that

I have to assume the newest driver does not work for windows XP and is for windows 10 so that is a bug that their process should not be installing the newest version in seeing the desktop has XP

That means the newest driver is from 2014 ! and the problem where this dual band goes to sleep is a bug and cannot be fixed with the driver version that works

As to dual band going to sleep, being this is a desktop there is no setting for power that would put dual band or any USB modules into a lower power mode

That means there is some bug for dual band and I need a solution to fix this being the desktop using XP pro is a file server and the other clients cannot see the server directory that the client desktops are mapped to and I have to go to that server and do something like go to the internet to wake the dual band up again and only then the client destops map to it again

So what is wrong with all this and how to resolve that dual band from going away where it is not seen by the networking group ?

Model: WNDA3100v2|RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter
Message 3 of 9

@TeamCorvette wrote:

As to dual band going to sleep, being this is a desktop there is no setting for power that would put dual band or any USB modules into a lower power mode

Where did "dual band" come from? You mean the USB device?

The idea that "there is no setting for power" on a desktop is incorrect, as my screenshot showed.

There are other puzzling bits in your reply.

The WNDA3100v3  dates back to 2014. It may not work in Windows 10, unless it can use the native drivers from Microsoft.

I'm afraid I got lost after the first sentence.

@TeamCorvette wrote:

Reason I asked about a newest driver that works for XP pro is in downloading off this website for this model.

I don't understand what it is saying. I told you where to get the latest drivers from the Netgear website.

Message 4 of 9
TeamCorvette
Aspirant

As noted these are Model: WNDA3100v3, which is N dual band (2.4 and 5 Ghz ) (N600) USB

I bought 3 more of these and all 3 act the same way of functioning and then that server is no longer seen to the networking group.

No as I stated I DID download the newest version as where you sent me

Install it, the dual band functions but n few minutes a Netgear popup sreen says there is even a newer software version

Selecting that and that driver is installed then the dual bands do not function at all, even though they connect to the Netgear router

And client P/C that was mapped drive to that server cannot connect to server and says the server name that is part of the networking MS group cannot be found

Waqking the dual band on server and then clients mapped to that server can now see the folders on that server

So

Newest driver installed, dual bands totally non functional

go back to version from 2014 they do work but go to sleep or some or reason cannot be seen and the server P/C has no setting for anything to go into a sleep mode

Sending a ticket to Netgear support 2 times, not once have they responded back and in calling support I end up on hold for hour or more and anyone I do connect with says they have no experience with this model Model: WNDA3100v3 and puts me back on hold:-(

and then stuck in hold until I hand phone up !

Message 5 of 9

@TeamCorvette wrote:

Sending a ticket to Netgear support 2 times, not once have they responded back and in calling support I end up on hold for hour or more and anyone I do connect with says they have no experience with this model Model: WNDA3100v3 and puts me back on hold:-(

I don't know how you "sent a ticket". But the WNDA3100v3 is ancient, well beyond any support life for a bottom of the range product like that.

The most recent update for the WNDA3100v3 is three years old:

WNDA3100v3 Software Version 1.0.0.13 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Netgear provides free support for 90 days during the set up period. After that you pay.

You are using an out-of-date adapter that does not even support 5 GHz wifi.

It is worrying that you talk of "calling support". If this  was  telephone number that you found with a web search IT WASN'T NETGEAR. There are too many scam sites out there that try to look like Netgear but in reality are dodgy operations that can damage your network and your bank balance.

There is no phone support for Netgear. You do it via the support portal:

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

First you have to register your device to confirm that it is eligible for the 90-days free support. Start here:

MyNETGEAR | Product Registration

Start a case and, with luck, they will contact you.

But as I said, after 90 days, Netgear does not provide paid support. It farms that out to GearHead.

GearHead Support

Or you can try to sort it out here. That costs you nothing. Then again, with a replacement adapter selling for a few $s, I doubt if there are many people here who still have one of those in operation.

Message 6 of 9
TeamCorvette
Aspirant

All three were just bought from Amazon last month

The Netgear support phone # was directly from their website

They asked a bounch of questions including model and serial #s and they are within the 90 day support

It is they that had me open a ticket/case  as shown

Last time I called them I was transferred FIVE times, each time with LONG hold times to be told by each that they are pre tech and did not have any experience on these N600 USB products and would have to transfer me to someone who did have the experience and instead put me on hold again and after long wait another would answer and have to go through it all over again and then be transferred

FIVE times and in all that not once did they get me to the right tech person and as it was all 5, none could speak or understand English very well 😞

So here I am and over and over again explaining a product of Netgear failing and all I get is some content and no real answers of why these new units are failing

The fact even they say they are within the 90 days support says there is no reason not one person can answer what the corrections needed to make these work as I paid for 😞

As it is I had to send them proof of purchase, screenshots of the failures and several posts on their case website and to this day they have NOT responded to that case # with any answers or fixes 😞

NETGEAR Support Case #44344062

Hi,

The case 44344062 is awaiting your inputs. Please provide an update so that the case can be worked on further.

Your Case Details

Case Number: 44344062

Summary: N600 WIFI USB Adapter(WNDA3100v3) - Replaced a wna300 N300 to this new wnda300v3 and now having problems where the desktop is fully functional but client desktops no longer see this desk

Case Created on: 3/22/2021

To send a follow-up response, click on the following link:

.Send a follow-up

Note: If clicking the link above does not work, copy and paste the URL in a new browser window instead.

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR!

NETGEAR Support

Message 7 of 9

@TeamCorvette wrote:

All three were just bought from Amazon last month

The Netgear support phone # was directly from their website

Amazon, or its third party operations, can sell any old junk they like, even if it is "Discontinued By Manufacturer" but you won't find that in the Netgear shop:

Buy Wireless USB WiFi Adapters | WiFi Adapters | NETGEAR

Netgear does not post phone numbers for support. They call you after you have set up a support request and if you are eligible.

Message 8 of 9
TeamCorvette
Aspirant

Your really are not too smart, some guru you are

People start a case/ticket, guess what it supports the N600

It asks questions you respond to like What IS YOUR email and phone #, Netgear #, serial number and guess what from that they KNEW the N600s I had complied for 90 day support, though at this point have not gotten any tech support

They call, you now have their Netgear support line phone #

from then on like you they do not understand English and spend a ton of time

posting all kinds of stuff

Except to answer WHY this product N600 (all 3) fails when used with windows XP when they make a driver for it ?

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7