× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2.4 GHz Configuration Mismatch

C273
Tutor

2.4 GHz Configuration Mismatch

After a wireless analysis I am getting an error - 2.4GHz Configuration Mismatch. Your access point in the 2.4 GHz Band are not all configured with the same HT Capabilities. We recommend configuring all access points in each band the same. The band are not all configured with the same PHY Types: EX8000 b/g/n/ac and R7900P b/g/n. How can I make the EX8000 b/g/n or the R7900P b/g/n/ac to make them match.

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: 2.4 GHz Configuration Mismatch

What's doing the wireless analysis? 

do you have your EX8000 setup in extender mode or AP mode?

did you set it up via wps or the installation wizard?

What firmware is on the EX8000?

On the R7900P?

Message 2 of 7
C273
Tutor

What's doing the wireless analysis? I am using inSSIDer

do you have your EX8000 setup in extender mode or AP mode? Extender Mode

did you set it up via wps or the installation wizard? Installation Wizard

What firmware is on the EX8000? V1.0.1.206

On the R7900P? V1.4.1.42_1.3.4 ( I was going to update to the latest one that came out a few days ago but people are reporting too many issues)

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

Yeah the version with armor hasn't been well recieved.

is the extender working? 

is it just inssider reporting the issue? 

do you have the 2.4ghz speed set for 450mbps and airtime fairness enabled?

Message 4 of 7
C273
Tutor

is the extender working? Yes

is it just inssider reporting the issue? I only use nSSIDer - Would you recommend another one to see if the errors are consistant?

Here is a more detailed issue (I have attached a screen shot) : 

1. Your acceess Points in the 2.4ghz band are not all configured with the same PHY Types: b/g/n/ac and b/g/n. We recommend configuring all access points in each band the same.

2. Your access points in the 2.4 ghz bad are not all configured with the same extended capabilities. We recommend configuring all access point in each band the same.

3. Your access points in the 2.4 ghz bad are not all configured with the same VHT Capabilities.We recommend configuring all access points in each band the same.

4. Your access points in the 2.4 ghz bad are not all configured with the same HT Capabilities.We recommend configuring all access points in each band the same.

I was forced to disable the 5ghz band because it was causing my devices to continuous disconnect and causing too many issues. I am trying to isolate the issue.

do you have the 2.4ghz speed set for 450mbps and airtime fairness enabled? Speed set to Up to 400Mbps in the extender. In the 7900P its set to Up to 450 Mbps. I cannot change the extender, when you set it up, it does this automatically. On the extender I have enabled 20/40 MHz coexixtence and Enable One Wifi Name.

I dont see airtime Fairness. 

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

not sure how much stake I'd put in inssider's notices. It might help getting the backhaul figured out though. 

The R7900P is a 3x3 antenna arrangement for 2.4ghz. The EX8000 is a 2x2 for the 2.4ghz. Slightly different coding is why you get similar speeds with different antenna setups. But so long as you're using it in extender mode, the important thing is just using the 5ghz backhaul. If you're trying to extend each band individually (not recommended), then it could potentially be an issue. Reason I wouldn't recommend extending each band individually is that the whole purpose of triband was to reserve a radio for router---extender communication to reduce the throughput and latency hit extenders take. 

In terms of that a couple things you can try to stabilize. 

1. Your right in the the newer firmware wasn't well recieved. even the one you're on had a few issues when it came out. Have you tried resetting both device back to factory just to ensure a setting didn't cause the issue? 

2. Try switching which 5ghz you use for the backhaul. maybe there's interference on one. i believe the EX8000, you can choose which 5ghz band to connect to. Try switching either from the high band 5ghz to low band or vice versa. Also, try changing channels if that doesn't work. 

Message 6 of 7
C273
Tutor

Will try and get back to you.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements