× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AC 1200 - Now Which of 4 SSIDs to Connect To Please?

Arthur99
Aspirant

AC 1200 - Now Which of 4 SSIDs to Connect To Please?

Hi, I'm very gateful for any advice that I can understand. I purchased this plug in wifi extender as my router was upstairs where the old office was, and my TV downstairs was occasionally buffering and thus annoying me.

I hadn't realised how my problem was going to be become more complicated than I'd thought. I just thought "More Power" would do it!

So I have a good Wi-Fi Hub from TalkTalk (I'm in the UK) and it's dual band. I've been observing which channels get busy or not and have selected an appropriate one for my 2.4 GHz band, but no matter what channel I try and select for my 5 GHz band, it indicates to me that it is covering all of the good ones from 36 to 44. I don't know what is happening there.

So I now have 4 networks. My original 2.4 and 5 ones, plus the netgear extended versions with very slightly different names. I think I've got confused in how best to set up devices to use them.

For example, Amazon Echo devices. Should I connect only to one network? I have a Fire Stick near my original router, and another 4K Fire Stick downstairs connected (I think) to my extender. Should I put them all on the same network?

I think I'm a classic example of the old addage, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Please, I will read whatever advice or links any of you can send me.

I apologize if I haven't posted in quite the correct format, or I've covered something well documented elsewhere that I didn't find.

All the best,

Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: AC 1200 - Now Which of 4 SSIDs to Connect To Please?

Hello Arthur,

For completeness, please let us know your Netgear extender model - there are many different models supporting AC1200.

The good message is this: All four SSID with different names connect to the same network. Let's keep it simple: Start with assigning the 5 GHz one which is near to the wireless client you want to operate.

Wireless devices only supporting 2.4 ghz the similar logic applies - use the nearer one. You can always test a connection and compare the signal levels shown. if nothing available on a client, use a mobile phone near to it to compare.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7